Calculating the Radius of a Circle for Masses Attached by a Cord

In summary, we have a problem where a 2kg mass is attached to a cord and moves in a circle on a frictionless table at a speed of 3.5 m/s. The cord is attached to a 4kg mass hanging below the table and the goal is to find the radius of the circle where the 4kg mass remains at rest. Using the equations for sum of forces in the x and y directions for both masses, we can solve for the radius using the orbital length. However, the original poster is unsure if their equations are correct and suggests using orbital length to find the solution.
ScienceGeek24

Homework Statement

A block of mass m1=2kg is attached to a cord. The cord goes down through a hole in the table and is attached to mass m2=4 kg hanging below the table. The 2 kg mass moves on the table in a circle at a speed of 3.5 m/s the table top is friction less and there is no friction between the cord and the side of the hole. What is the radius of the circle if the 4 kg mass remains at rest?

Homework Equations

Sum of force x direction m1: T=mv^2/r

Sum of forces y direction m1: N-mg=mv^2/r

Sum of forces x direction m2: Mg-t= Mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to use this equations and i cannot come up wit the solution. Do i have my equation correctly in this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you use orbital length to get the answer :P

Last edited:

Related to Calculating the Radius of a Circle for Masses Attached by a Cord

1. What is the formula for calculating the radius of a circle for masses attached by a cord?

The formula for calculating the radius of a circle for masses attached by a cord is:
r = F/ (m * omega^2)
Where r is the radius, F is the force applied by the cord, m is the mass of the object, and omega is the angular velocity.

2. Can this formula be used for any shape of mass?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating the radius of a circle for masses attached by a cord. For other shapes, different formulas may be required.

3. Is the force applied by the cord the only variable in this formula?

No, in addition to the force applied by the cord, the mass of the object and the angular velocity are also important variables in this formula.

4. How is the angular velocity calculated?

The angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement by the time taken for that displacement. It is measured in radians per second.

5. Are there any real-life applications for calculating the radius of a circle for masses attached by a cord?

Yes, this formula is commonly used in physics and engineering to determine the radius of circular motion for objects attached by a cord, such as a pendulum or a spinning top. It is also used in designing and analyzing circular motion in machines and vehicles.