Calculating the Phase Spectrum from a Fourier Transform

In summary: If you take the Fourier transform of a delta function you will get a constant complex value since it has a constant value over all frequencies. So, to get the real and imaginary parts, you can simply take the real and imaginary parts of this constant complex value.In summary, the phase spectrum of a Fourier Transform can be calculated by taking the arctangent of the ratio of imaginary to real parts. To determine the real and imaginary parts of a sum of functions that are Fourier Transforms, one can use the property Re[f(k)+g(k)]=Re[f(k)]+Re(g(k)) and the same for imaginary parts. The inverse of a complex number can be found using the formula \frac{1}{a+jb}=\frac
dead_devil_66
Hi!

I'm trying to understand how do i get the phase spectrum from a Fourier Transform. From this site

http://sepwww.stanford.edu/public/docs/sep72/lin4/paper_html/node4.html#lin4_swhfactm

this statement

"The phase spectrum is usually calculated by taking the arctangent of the ratio of imaginary to real parts of the Fourier transform."

Yeah, right. So, when i have a sum of functions that are Fourier Transforms, how do i know which is the real part and the imaginary part of the entire sum?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]Re[f(k)+g(k)]=Re[f(k)]+Re(g(k))[/tex]

and the same with imaginary part. Does this answer the question, or I misunderstood something?

Petr Mugver said:
[tex]Re[f(k)+g(k)]=Re[f(k)]+Re(g(k))[/tex]

and the same with imaginary part. Does this answer the question, or I misunderstood something?

it answer half of the things i asked. The unanswered part is how do i get the imaginary and the real parts of any Fourier transform?

I think I'm missing something. Ther real and imaginary part of a complex function are taken the same way you do for numbers... try giving an example so we can see where's the problem...

i have this function

[PLAIN]http://j.imagehost.org/0556/fun_ao_pre_trans_fourier.png

the Fourier transform is

[PLAIN]http://j.imagehost.org/0286/fun_ao_trans_fourier.png

now, how do i get the real and the imaginary parts??

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah ok, the problem is then more about complex numbers than with Fourier transforms. You have to put the Fourier transform in the form a + jb, with a and b real numbers. Then a will be the real part and b the imaginary part. You go by steps:

1) The exponential decomposes like

[tex]e^{j\theta}=\cos\theta+j\sin\theta[/tex]

2) The inverse of a complex number is

[tex]\frac{1}{a+jb}=\frac{a-jb}{a^2+b^2}[/tex]

3) Oh and finally recall that [tex]j^2=-1[/tex] !

Using these 3 rules, you can, with a bit of patience, write your expression like a + jb. Try it yourself, if you don't get it we'll see.

ok, but how do i do with the dirac function?

dead_devil_66 said:
ok, but how do i do with the dirac function?

Treat the delta function just like an ordinary real function.

Related to Calculating the Phase Spectrum from a Fourier Transform

1. What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a signal into its individual frequency components. It represents a signal in the frequency domain, showing the amplitude and phase of each frequency present.

2. How is the Phase Spectrum calculated from a Fourier Transform?

The Phase Spectrum is calculated by taking the complex conjugate of the Fourier Transform and then taking the inverse tangent of the imaginary part divided by the real part at each frequency component. This yields the phase angle for each frequency.

3. What is the significance of the Phase Spectrum in signal processing?

The Phase Spectrum provides important information about the relative timing and alignment of different frequency components within a signal. It can be used to analyze and manipulate the phase characteristics of a signal, which can have significant effects on the perceived sound or image.

4. Can the Phase Spectrum be negative?

Yes, the Phase Spectrum can have negative values. This indicates a phase shift of 180 degrees or more at a particular frequency.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in calculating the Phase Spectrum from a Fourier Transform?

One limitation is that the Phase Spectrum may not accurately represent the phase characteristics of a signal if there are discontinuities or sharp changes in the signal. Additionally, the Phase Spectrum may be affected by noise or other artifacts in the signal.