Calculating the Period of Deimos: Phobos vs Deimos

• Thread starter StaticShock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Period
In summary, the problem involves calculating the period of Deimos, given the average radii and period of Phobos. The formula used is (Ta\Tb)sq'ed =(Ra\Rb)cubed and the choice of A and B does not matter as long as it is consistent.
StaticShock
Here's the problem:

Phobos and Deimos 2 satalites of mars, ahve orbits with average radii of 9380km and 23500km respectivly.

The period of Phobos is .319 Earth days. Whats is the period of Demos?

I ahve it set up like this:

Rp=9380
RD=23500
Pp=.319
Pd=?

and i know (Ta\Tb)sq'ed =(Ra\Rb)cubed. Am I right in doing this? How do I choose who is A and who is B?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rp=9380
RD=23500
Pp=.319
Pd=?
and i know (Ta\Tb)sq'ed =(Ra\Rb)cubed. Am I right in doing this? How do I choose who is A and who is B?

Your approach is right. Choose them however you like. As long as you're consistent, it will be fine.

Yes, you are on the right track with setting up the equation (Ta/Tb)^2 = (Ra/Rb)^3. In this equation, A and B represent Phobos and Deimos respectively. To solve for the period of Deimos (Pd), you can rearrange the equation to be (Pd/Pp)^2 = (RD/Rp)^3. Then, you can plug in the given values for Rp and Pp, and solve for Pd. The final equation would be (Pd/.319)^2 = (23500/9380)^3. Solving for Pd would give you a period of approximately 1.26 Earth days for Deimos.

Related to Calculating the Period of Deimos: Phobos vs Deimos

1. How do you calculate the period of Deimos and Phobos?

The period of an object is the time it takes to complete one full orbit around another object. To calculate the period of Deimos and Phobos, we use the formula T^2 = 4π^2a^3/GM, where T is the period, a is the semi-major axis, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the central object (in this case, Mars).

2. How do the periods of Deimos and Phobos compare?

The period of Deimos is approximately 1.26 days, while the period of Phobos is approximately 7.66 hours. This means that Phobos orbits much faster than Deimos, completing over three orbits in the time it takes for Deimos to complete one.

3. Why do Deimos and Phobos have different periods?

The periods of Deimos and Phobos are determined by their distances from Mars and their masses. Phobos is much closer to Mars and has a lower mass, resulting in a faster orbit. Deimos is further away and has a higher mass, leading to a slower orbit.

4. How does the period of Deimos and Phobos affect their gravitational pull on Mars?

Since Phobos has a shorter period, it exerts a stronger gravitational pull on Mars compared to Deimos. This is because the strength of gravitational attraction is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects.

5. Can the period of Deimos and Phobos change over time?

Yes, the periods of Deimos and Phobos can change over time due to factors such as tidal forces and interactions with other celestial bodies. However, these changes are very small and have not been significant enough to alter the overall orbits of Deimos and Phobos around Mars.