Calculating the Net Force Vector for Multiple Force Vectors

In summary: It should be -140 degrees.In summary, the conversation discusses three force vectors, F1, F2, and F3, with magnitudes and directions given for each. The net force vector F is determined by adding the x and y components of each vector, with a result of -0.14 for the x component and 60.26 for the y component. However, there may be an error in the calculation of the second vector's components due to incorrect direction and switching of x and y values.
bigzee20
Consider 3 force vectors F1, F2, and F3. The vector F1 has magnitude F1 = 36N and direction θ = 110°; the vector F2 has magnitude F2 = 22N and direction θ = - 140°; and the vector F3 has magnitude F3 = 28N and direction θ = 20°. All the direction angles θ are measured from the positive x axis: counter-clockwise for θ > 0 and clockwise for θ < 0.

What is the magnitude F or the net force vector F = F1+F2+F3? Answer in units of N.

I found the x resultants to be -12.31 + -14.14 + 26.31 = -0.14
I found the y resultants to be 33.83 + 16.85 + 9.58 = 60.26

(sqrt)-0.14^2 + 60.26^2 = 60.26

Can someone tell me were Iam going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show us detail about how you derived the x- and y- components for each vector?

I think you have switched x and y components on one of your vectors, and have a sign wrong. I think it's best to draw each vector separately and write out all the steps -- that way you can check if these intermediate parts are correct.

ok here is what i did

F1x = 36N cos110 = -12.31
F1y = 36N sin110 = 33.83
F2x = 22N cos130 = -14.14
F2y = 22N sin130 = 16.85
F3x = 28N cos20 = 26.31
F3y = 28N sin20 = 9.58

then i found the resultant for the x and y component

bigzee20 said:
ok here is what i did

F1x = 36N cos110 = -12.31
F1y = 36N sin110 = 33.83
F2x = 22N cos130 = -14.14
F2y = 22N sin130 = 16.85
F3x = 28N cos20 = 26.31
F3y = 28N sin20 = 9.58

then i found the resultant for the x and y component

Check your vector 2... why do you have 130 degrees?

Related to Calculating the Net Force Vector for Multiple Force Vectors

1. What is net force of a vector?

The net force of a vector is the overall or resultant force acting on an object in a specific direction. It is the combination of all the individual forces acting on the object.

2. How is net force of a vector calculated?

The net force of a vector is calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on an object, taking into account their directions and magnitudes. This can be done using vector addition or by using the Pythagorean theorem.

3. What is the difference between net force and individual force?

The net force of a vector is the overall or resultant force, while an individual force is one of the forces acting on an object. The net force takes into account all the individual forces and their directions, while an individual force is just one component of the net force.

4. How does the net force of a vector affect an object's motion?

The net force of a vector determines the acceleration of an object, which in turn affects its motion. If the net force is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant speed. If the net force is non-zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

5. Can the net force of a vector be negative?

Yes, the net force of a vector can be negative. This indicates that the forces acting on an object are in opposite directions, and the resulting net force is in the direction of the larger force. This can cause the object to decelerate or change direction.