Calculating the Moment of Inertia of an Irregular Rod Shape

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the second moment of inertia of an irregular section using the basic equation Ixx = (integrate over area)(y^2)dA. This is done by splitting the shaft into sections and calculating the moment of inertia of each section, then adding them together. The equation for half of the inner diameter is also provided, as well as the suggestion to calculate the Ixx of the entire length of the internal bar and multiply it by 4. The option to manually calculate the second moment of inertia is also mentioned.
mercuri2
To give you a better idea, I have it drawn out here: http://tinypic.com/r/eq6ln5/6

I am calling the thickness of a rod t and the thickness of the shaft t2. I am using the basic equation Ixx = (integrate over area)(y^2)dA on different sections and then adding them all together, following the guidelines of this website:

http://www.brighthubengineering.com...-inertia-of-irregular-sections-in-five-steps/

I split the shaft into sections, as follows: http://tinypic.com/r/2j5mc8l/6
I calculated the moment of inertia of each section and added them together.

Referring to half of one rod (aka half of the inner diameter) as L, I have come up with this equation:

=2*L^3*(SQRT(2)/2)^3 (three rods)
+2*(t*L*(1-(SQRT(2)/2))) (top of center rod)
+L*t^3/12 (middle horizontal rod)
+(PI()/4)*((L+t2)^4-(L)^4) (hollow cylinder)

Am I going about this the correct way? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Calculate the Ixx of the ring
then calculate the Ixx of an entire length of internal bar (spanning the diameter) and multiply by 4

If you want I could show you the process of manually calculating the second moment of inertia of the structure.

Related to Calculating the Moment of Inertia of an Irregular Rod Shape

What is the moment of inertia of an irregular rod shape?

The moment of inertia of an irregular rod shape is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is the sum of the products of each particle's mass and its squared distance from the axis of rotation.

Why is it important to calculate the moment of inertia of an irregular rod shape?

Calculating the moment of inertia allows us to predict how an object will behave when subjected to rotational forces. This information is crucial in designing and analyzing mechanical systems.

How do you calculate the moment of inertia of an irregular rod shape?

To calculate the moment of inertia of an irregular rod shape, you need to divide the object into smaller, simpler shapes, such as rectangles or triangles. Then, use the parallel axis theorem to calculate the moment of inertia for each shape and add them together to get the total moment of inertia for the object.

Can the moment of inertia of an irregular rod shape be negative?

No, the moment of inertia is always a positive value. It represents the object's resistance to rotation, so a negative value would not make physical sense.

How does the distribution of mass affect the moment of inertia of an irregular rod shape?

The moment of inertia is directly proportional to the distribution of mass from the axis of rotation. The farther the mass is from the axis, the higher the moment of inertia will be. This means that the shape and density of an object can greatly affect its moment of inertia.