Calculating the Modulus of Elasticity

In summary: Pa.In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the modulus of elasticity for a given equation, where the slope of the equation represents the modulus of elasticity. The equation is Y= 3E+07x+2445.3, with E representing stress/strain. The units and meaning of the letters used are important factors in solving the equation, and the elastic modulus can be found by taking the derivative of the equation. The elastic modulus for this equation is determined to be 30 MPa or 30*10^6 Pa.
williamx11373
After making a chart in Excel and obtaining the equation " Y= 3E+07x+2445.3 "

Now i need to calculate the modulus of elasticity. I know that the slope of the equation gives the modulus of elasticity.

but I have no clue how to even begin solving the equation Y= 3E+07x+2445.3I do know E=stress/strain... any hint or advice would help.
(do i just find the slope of elastic portion)? is that the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am also struggling with a mech problem and it seems there are relatively few mechanical engineers are here. So let's try to help each other. Sorry if I can give you only general advice.
It always helps to write the units with the equations. I could pretend understanding physics a lot of times because I could deduce the rules from the units. Serious scientists also cheat the same way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_analysis
It also helps to state the meaning of the letters used.
For now I will pretend that y is stress, x is strain, and E is not Young modulus, but 3E+07 wants to mean 3*10^7
So we have
y = ax+b
where a=30 MPa
and b=2445.3 (dimensionless)
the stress/strain function is
f(x) = ax + b
it's slope is simply its derivative
f'(x) = a
So the elastic modulus is 30 Mpa

Related to Calculating the Modulus of Elasticity

1. What is the modulus of elasticity?

The modulus of elasticity, also known as Young's modulus, is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of a material. It represents the ratio of stress to strain within the elastic limit of a material.

2. How is the modulus of elasticity calculated?

The modulus of elasticity is calculated by dividing the applied stress by the resulting strain. This can be represented as E = σ/ε, where E is the modulus of elasticity, σ is the applied stress, and ε is the resulting strain.

3. What are the units of the modulus of elasticity?

The modulus of elasticity is typically measured in units of pressure, such as Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi). However, it can also be expressed in other units, such as megapascals (MPa) or gigapascals (GPa).

4. Why is the modulus of elasticity important?

The modulus of elasticity is an important property to consider in engineering and materials science, as it provides information about how a material will respond to external forces. It is used to determine the strength and stiffness of a material, and can help predict how it will deform under stress.

5. How does temperature affect the modulus of elasticity?

The modulus of elasticity is affected by temperature, as it is dependent on the physical properties of a material. In general, as temperature increases, the modulus of elasticity decreases. This is due to the increase in molecular motion within the material, which can lead to a decrease in stiffness and increase in deformability.