Calculating the Length of an Angle Bisector: Is My Solution Correct?

In summary, to find the length of angle bisector BK in triangle ABC with coordinates A(1;4), B(7;8), and C(9;2), we can use the angle bisector theorem to find the ratio of AK to KC. Then, we can use the distance formula to find the lengths of AB and AC. Finally, we can use Stewart's theorem to solve for the length of BK.
divisor
How to find the length of an angle bisector (\(\displaystyle BK\)) in a triangle \(\displaystyle A(1;4), B(7;8), C(9;2)\).

I calc \(\displaystyle BK\):
\(\displaystyle \frac{x-7}{\frac{1+\frac{\sqrt{13}}{\sqrt{10}} \cdot 9}{1+\frac{\sqrt{13}}{\sqrt{10}}} - 7} - \frac{y-8}{\frac{4+\frac{\sqrt{13}}{\sqrt{10}} \cdot 2}{1+\frac{\sqrt{13}}{\sqrt{10}}} - 8}=0\)

Is it right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome, divisor! (Wave)

Is the equation you wrote supposed to be the equation of line containing $BK$? I haven't checked it for correctness, but you usually find lengths in the coordinate plane using the distance formula. Since $BK$ is an angle bisector of $\triangle ABC$, the angle bisector theorem gives $\frac{AK}{KC} = \frac{AB}{AC}$. Find $AB$ and $AC$ using the distance formula. Next, use the equation in Stewart's theorem to solve for $BK$.

Euge, thank you. I want to check my solution by Stewart's theorem.

Related to Calculating the Length of an Angle Bisector: Is My Solution Correct?

What is an angle bisector?

An angle bisector is a straight line that divides an angle into two equal parts.

How do you find the length of an angle bisector?

To find the length of an angle bisector, you can use the Angle Bisector Theorem, which states that the length of the angle bisector is equal to the product of the two sides of the angle divided by the sum of the two sides.

What is the difference between an angle bisector and a perpendicular bisector?

An angle bisector divides an angle into two equal parts, while a perpendicular bisector divides a line segment into two equal parts at a 90-degree angle.

Can an angle bisector be longer than one of the sides of the angle?

No, an angle bisector cannot be longer than one of the sides of the angle. It will always be shorter than the longest side of the angle.

Why is the length of an angle bisector important?

The length of an angle bisector is important in geometry and trigonometry as it helps in solving problems related to angles and triangles. It also plays a crucial role in constructions and proofs.