Calculating the Hubble Constant at Different Redshifts

In summary, the Hubble constant is a measure of how fast the universe is expanding. It depends on the matter density and energy density in the universe, as well as the redshift. The equation used to calculate the Hubble constant at different redshifts is the Friedmann equation.
Epistimonas
How can you mathematically calculate the Hubble constant at different redshifts? I know it's possible, and I can get the number by using the Cosmos Calculator:

http://www.uni.edu/morgans/ajjar/Cosmology/cosmos.html

But I want to know the equation they used to calculate the Hubble Constant at z = 6? So, given the matter density, energy density, and redshift, how do you calculate the Hubble constant?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You probably know the Friedmann equation, if not just google it.

Take a simple case with k=0 (spatial flat) and Lambda=0, just to see how it goes.

The Friedmann equation says that H2 goes as the density. So H goes as the square root of the density. But assuming matter is the main content, density increases as (z+1)3.
So in this Lambda=0 case it is really easy.

The radiation content of the U at present is such a small fraction that one can neglect it.
Radiation density goes as the fourth power of (z+1) because the number of photons per volume increases as the cube, and the energy of each one increases linearly and distances and wavelengths shrink.

But the universe is "matter dominated" i.e. we can neglect radiation, so we don't use the 4th power we just use the cube.

The other complication is if Lambda > 0. Think of it as an equivalent dark energy. Dark energy density does not change. So part of the energy density of the U (73% at present) is not changing as z+1 increases, and part of the density (27%) is going up as the cube of z+1.

Maybe someone will step in with solved equations. But it's easy in any case, even with Lambda >0.

I'm glad you found Prof. Morgan's calculator! It's simple and good for learning with and I like her for putting it online. I understand she collects classic superhero comicbooks, another appealing trait. Dont forget to put .27, .73, and 71 in the first three boxes on the left margin. HAVE FUN! :biggrin:

I'm guessing that you already know that the factor by which distances and wavelengths are shorter is z+1. Light from a redshift z = 1 galaxy has wavelengths TWICE as long when the light gets here. Light from a z=2 galaxy has wavelenghts THREE times what they were when the light was emitted. And distances were 1/3 then what they are today. and volumes 1/27. And matter densities 27 times what they are today etc etc.
You are always having to add one to the z in order to get useful factor.

Last edited:
Ahh ok, I think I understand. So basically I just solve the Friedmann equations for H with z = 6, 0.27 for the matter density, and 0.73 for the energy density?

I'm about to try it I'll let you know how it goes.

By the way, I got it, thanks!

The Hubble constant, denoted by H0, is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding at the present time. It is defined as the ratio of the recessional velocity of distant galaxies to their distance, and is usually expressed in units of kilometers per second per megaparsec (km/s/Mpc). This means that for every megaparsec (a distance of approximately 3.26 million light-years), the velocity of a galaxy is increasing by a certain number of kilometers per second.

To calculate the Hubble constant at different redshifts, we can use the equation:

H(z) = H0 * √[(Ωm * (1+z)^3) + (ΩΛ)]

Where H(z) is the Hubble constant at a specific redshift z, H0 is the current Hubble constant, Ωm is the matter density of the universe, and ΩΛ is the energy density of dark energy in the universe.

To calculate the Hubble constant at z = 6, we would need to plug in the values for H0, Ωm, and ΩΛ at that redshift into the above equation. These values can be obtained from observational data or theoretical models. The Cosmos Calculator that you mentioned also uses this equation to calculate the Hubble constant at different redshifts.

It is important to note that the Hubble constant is not a constant value and can vary at different redshifts due to the changing expansion rate of the universe. By studying the Hubble constant at different redshifts, scientists can gain a better understanding of the evolution of the universe and the role of dark energy in its expansion.

Related to Calculating the Hubble Constant at Different Redshifts

1. What is the Hubble Constant?

The Hubble Constant is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is represented by the symbol H0 and has units of kilometers per second per megaparsec.

2. How is the Hubble Constant calculated?

The Hubble Constant is calculated by measuring the redshift of light from distant galaxies and using the Doppler Effect to determine their recessional velocity. This velocity is then divided by the distance to the galaxy, giving the value of H0.

3. Why is the Hubble Constant important?

The Hubble Constant is important because it helps us understand the age and size of the universe. It also plays a crucial role in cosmological models and can provide insights into the nature of dark energy and the fate of the universe.

4. What are redshifts and how do they relate to the Hubble Constant?

Redshifts are a measure of how much the light from an object has been stretched as it travels through the expanding universe. The higher the redshift, the faster the object is moving away from us and the larger the value of the Hubble Constant.

5. How does the Hubble Constant change at different redshifts?

The Hubble Constant is not a constant value and can vary at different redshifts. This is because the expansion rate of the universe has changed over time. As we look further back in time, we are seeing objects with higher redshifts and therefore higher values of the Hubble Constant.