Calculating the Height for Half Weight at Earth's Surface

In summary, if you wanted to find the height an object's weight would be one half the value at the surface, you would first find the distance away from the center of Earth to make g one half its "normal" value, which is 9.81 m/s^2. Then you would subtract out the distance from the surface of Earth to get the altitude above Earth's surface.
Dooga Blackrazor
At what height above the Earth's surface would an object's weight be one half the value at the surface?

W = m(2)g = Gm(1)(m2) / r^2 is the formula I am using.

I found 1/2 weight to be 2.92825 x 10^25

Then I found m(1) to be 1/2gxW (not sure if I should've used 1/2g here or not) and then I did the rearranging and other such things.

I got an answer of 4.4 x 10^7. It seems a bit high to me, but I don't have a great understanding of the concept, lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
The force of weight is,
w = mg,
where m is the objects mass and g is the gravitational acceleration, which can be calculated as,
g = (G*M) / R^2

If you raise something up high into the air, well above the Earth's surface, the mass will not change, but the acceleration due to gravity will.
So to find the distance above the surface that will make the object's weight 1/2 of what it is at the surface, you must find the distance away from the center of Earth to make g one half its "normal" value.

Normally g = 9.81 m/s^2, so we are looking for a distance R that will make it 4.906 m/s^2.
4.905 = (G*M) / R^2, where M is the mass of the Earth, 5.97 E24 kg.
just solve for R and you have the distance from the center of Earth.
You then need to subtract out the distance from the Center to the surface of Earth, to get the altilitde above Earth's surface.

Your answer is close, and I probably just used different constants to you but a few thousand Km's up is a reasonable answer; The radius of the Earth is very large and we have to raise something less than half that distance to half (just over a quarter) the force due to gravity. The inverse relationship means that the Force on each mass will rapidly decrease as the distance R gets larger.

2638.82 km above the Earth is what I got. I checked some sites and it seems reasonable. Thanks for the help.

Related to Calculating the Height for Half Weight at Earth's Surface

1. What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a scientific law proposed by Sir Isaac Newton that describes the force of attraction between any two objects with mass. It states that the force of gravity is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does universal gravitation affect objects?

Universal gravitation affects objects by exerting a force of attraction between them. This force is responsible for keeping objects in orbit around larger objects, such as planets orbiting the sun. It also causes objects to fall towards the Earth when dropped.

3. What factors affect the strength of universal gravitation?

The strength of universal gravitation is affected by two main factors: the masses of the objects involved and the distance between them. The greater the masses of the objects, the stronger the force of gravity between them. The farther apart the objects are, the weaker the force of gravity will be.

4. How does universal gravitation differ from other types of forces?

Universal gravitation is a force of attraction between any two objects with mass, while other types of forces, such as electromagnetic or nuclear forces, only act on specific types of particles. Additionally, universal gravitation is a long-range force, meaning it can act over large distances, whereas other forces tend to act over shorter distances.

5. Can universal gravitation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, universal gravitation can be observed in many aspects of everyday life. Some examples include objects falling towards the Earth, the moon orbiting around the Earth, and the Earth orbiting around the sun. It is also responsible for the tides in the ocean and the stability of the solar system.