Calculating the height after an elastic collision

In summary, a ball of mass 100 g is projected vertically with a speed of 5 m/s and collides elastically with another ball of mass 50 g hanging from the ceiling. To find the height to which the smaller ball will rise after the collision, the equation 1/2 M1V1i^2 = 1/2 M1V1f^2 + 1/2 M2V2f^2 is used, but there are two unknown variables. Another equation is needed to find the change in height, or Δy.
bna10

Homework Statement

A ball of mass 100 g is projected straight up with a speed of 5 m/s from the floor. Another ball of mass 50 g is hung from the ceiling by a light string at a height of 1.00 m directly above the first ball, so that the projected ball collides elastically with it. Calculate the height above the floor to which the smaller ball will rise.

Homework Equations

1/2 M1V1i^2 = 1/2 M1V1f^2 + 1/2 M2V2f^2

The Attempt at a Solution

When I use the equation above it gives me two unknown variables V1f and V2f (after the collision). but I don't know what equation to use to figure out Δy.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 8.10.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 8.10.23 PM.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 517
Physics news on Phys.org
You're using conservation of energy. Energy is not the only thing conserved in elastic collisions. In fact, the thing I'm thinking of is conserved even in inelastic collisions.

Related to Calculating the height after an elastic collision

1. How do you calculate the height after an elastic collision?

The height after an elastic collision can be calculated using the equation h = (vi2sin2θ)/(2g), where h is the height, vi is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of the collision, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same.

3. What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

4. What factors affect the height after an elastic collision?

The height after an elastic collision is affected by the initial velocity of the object, the angle of the collision, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also have an impact.

5. Can the height after an elastic collision be negative?

Yes, the height after an elastic collision can be negative if the object is projected downwards or if the angle of the collision is greater than 90 degrees. In this case, the height is measured as the distance below the initial position.