Calculating the Gravitational Force of Two Bowling Balls

In summary, the formula for calculating the gravitational force between two bowling balls is F = G (m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them. The masses of the two bowling balls can be determined by weighing them on a scale using the same unit of measurement. The value of the gravitational constant, G, is approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2 and should be measured in meters (m) for the formula to work correctly. This formula can be used to calculate the gravitational force between any two objects, as long as their masses and distance
Kdawg
One problem

1.) Two bowling balls each have a mass of 15.8 kg. They are located next to one another with their centers 1.8 cm apart. What gravitational force do they exert on each other? (Use G = 6.670 10-11 N · m 2/kg2.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried?

This is a really simple question. You just have to apply Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.

Ya, I figured it out, its 5.1e-5. I just forgot to convert cm to m the first time :smile:

Related to Calculating the Gravitational Force of Two Bowling Balls

What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force between two bowling balls?

The formula for calculating the gravitational force between two bowling balls is F = G (m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

How do I determine the mass of the two bowling balls?

The masses of the two bowling balls can be determined by weighing them on a scale. Make sure to use the same unit of measurement for both balls.

What is the value of the gravitational constant (G)?

The value of the gravitational constant, G, is approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2. This is a constant value and does not change.

What units should I use for the distance (r) in the formula?

The distance (r) should be measured in meters (m) for the formula to work correctly. If the distance is measured in a different unit, it will need to be converted to meters before using the formula.

Can I use this formula to calculate the gravitational force between any two objects?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the gravitational force between any two objects, as long as their masses and distance are known.