Calculating the Gauss Curvature of a Surface with Curves in 3 Dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a parametrized curve and surface, and the calculation of Gaussian curvature using given quantities. It is determined that the Gaussian curvature is always 0, indicating that the surface is locally flat.
mooshasta
This is my last annoying post here, probably. :)

Homework Statement

I have a curve [itex]\alpha: I \rightarrow \Re^3[/itex] parametrized by arclength. [itex]\kappa(t) \neq 0[/itex] for all I.

Given the surface [tex]\psi (s,t) = \alpha (t) + (s-t) v(t)[/tex], where [tex]v(t) = \frac{d \alpha}{dt}[/tex], t is in I, and s > t, I want to calculate [tex]E = \frac{\delta \psi}{\delta s} \cdot \frac{\delta \psi}{\delta s}, F = \frac{\delta \psi}{\delta s} \cdot \frac{\delta \psi}{\delta t}, G = \frac{\delta \psi}{\delta t} \cdot \frac{\delta \psi}{\delta t}[/tex] in terms of t, s, and [itex]\kappa (t)[/itex]

From here I want to show that the Gauss curvature of the surface is 0 at all points t and s > t. This seems pretty intuitive to me but I think I'm supposed to use the quantities above to get to this conclusion. Finally, is the surface locally isometric to [itex]\Re ^2[/itex]?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated that [tex]\frac{\delta \psi}{\delta s} = v(t)[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\delta \psi}{\delta t} = (s-t) v'(t)[/tex], so E = 1 (from unit speed), F = 0 (also from unit speed, because velocity and acceleration must be perpendicular to maintain a certain speed), and that [tex]G = (s-t)^2 ( v'(t) \cdot v'(t)) = (s-t)^2 \kappa ^2 (t)[/tex], since (from what I understand) [itex]\kappa (t) = ||v'(t)||[/itex], from Frenet formulas. \

I'm not sure these are correct, and I'm also not sure how to calculate Gauss curvature from these quantities, however..Any help or hints is appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I can see that you have put a lot of effort into understanding this problem and your calculations seem to be on the right track.

To calculate the Gaussian curvature, we can use the following formula:

K = \frac{EG-F^2}{(EG-F^2)^2}

Substituting the values you have calculated, we get:

K = \frac{(s-t)^2 \kappa^2 (t)}{(s-t)^2}

= \kappa^2 (t)

Since \kappa (t) is non-zero for all points t, we can see that the Gaussian curvature is always 0. This means that the surface is locally flat, or isometric to \Re^2. This makes sense since we are adding a linear term (s-t) to the parametrization of the curve, which does not change the curvature of the curve.

I hope this helps you understand the problem better. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for further clarification if needed.Scientist

Related to Calculating the Gauss Curvature of a Surface with Curves in 3 Dimensions

1. What are curves in 3 dimensions?

Curves in 3 dimensions refer to mathematical shapes that exist in a three-dimensional space. These curves can be described using equations and can be represented visually using graphs or computer software.

2. How are curves in 3 dimensions different from 2 dimensions?

Curves in 3 dimensions have an extra dimension compared to curves in 2 dimensions. This means that they have an additional axis and can have more complex shapes, such as spirals or helixes.

3. What are some real-world examples of curves in 3 dimensions?

Some common examples of curves in 3 dimensions include the trajectory of a thrown ball, the shape of a DNA molecule, or the path of a rollercoaster. These curves can also be seen in nature, such as the shape of a seashell or a wave.

4. How are curves in 3 dimensions used in science and engineering?

Curves in 3 dimensions are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, computer graphics, and architecture. They are used to model and understand complex systems, design structures and objects, and simulate real-world scenarios.

5. What are some methods for representing and studying curves in 3 dimensions?

There are several methods for representing and studying curves in 3 dimensions, including parametric equations, vector equations, and implicit equations. These methods allow scientists to analyze and manipulate curves to better understand their properties and behavior.