Calculating the Effects of Velocity and Gravity on Orbital Motion

In summary, Centripetal and centrifugal forces are responsible for the motion of objects around a central point. Kepler's laws describe the motion of planets around the sun.
Phys_Boi
So if an object has a velocity expressed by the vector <-3,0> and is being accelerated toward another object with the vector <-1,-2>... After one second, the object will have moved from (0,0) to (-4,-2) - calculated by adding the vectors.. My question is after the first second does the object keep the initial -3 velocity vector?

I am trying to map orbital motion and have so far been taking the sum of the initial two vectors and adding them to the gravity vector. Then the resulting vector will be added to the new gravity vector and so on...

However, this is getting unrealistic results.. So which vectors are applying to the object?

Does the initial velocity vector always apply to the object or does the vector decrease or does it drop after the first second?

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Phys_Boi said:
My question is after the first second does the object keep the initial -3 velocity vector?
No. The object has a new velocity, which you've calculated. The original velocity is no longer relevant. What happens next depends on whether the acceleration continues; if not, the object's velocity will remain at its new value.

Thank you for your reply..
Like I said, I'm doing some orbital motion modeling in JavaScript.. The acceleration continues because it is a gravitational acceleration. However, in my program when I do add an initial velocity, it is quickly overtaken by the gravity component in an, almost, unnatural way. Maybe it's just something with the code! Thank you.

Phys_Boi said:
The acceleration continues
... in which case the velocity keeps on changing. An orbit can be seen as an ongoing fall by missing the target. Its an equilibrium.

How would you calculate the changing velocity?

Phys_Boi said:
How would you calculate the changing velocity?
You did it by taking steps in seconds. If it's going on, another <-1,-2> will be added every second. The initial <-3,0> will have less and less influence on the overall direction.

Have a look on the Wikipedia pages here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centripetal_force
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_force
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_motion#Uniform_circular_motion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler's_laws_of_planetary_motion

This should help your calculations.

Likes FactChecker
Thanks

Related to Calculating the Effects of Velocity and Gravity on Orbital Motion

What is orbital motion?

Orbital motion is the motion of an object around a larger object, such as a planet orbiting around a star. It is governed by the force of gravity and the object's velocity.

How does velocity affect orbital motion?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction. In orbital motion, an object with a higher velocity will have a larger orbit and take longer to complete one revolution. Objects with lower velocity will have smaller orbits and complete revolutions faster.

What is the role of gravity in orbital motion?

Gravity is the force that keeps objects in orbit around a larger object. It pulls objects towards the center of the larger object and is responsible for maintaining the circular or elliptical path of the orbit.

How do you calculate the effects of velocity and gravity on orbital motion?

The effects of velocity and gravity on orbital motion can be calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation and Kepler's Laws of Planetary Motion. These equations take into account the mass, distance, and velocity of the objects involved.

What factors can affect the stability of an orbit?

The stability of an orbit can be affected by various factors such as the mass and distance of the objects involved, the velocity of the orbiting object, and external forces such as atmospheric drag. Changes in any of these factors can alter the shape and stability of an orbit.