Calculating the charge distribution on the surface of an assymetric conductor

In summary, to calculate the charge distribution on the surface of an asymmetric closed conducting surface, you can use a numerical method to establish the Electric field for the system. This E field result can then be used to determine the surface charge distribution. The process involves solving Laplace's equation for the potential, using known boundary conditions of a constant potential on the surface and a point charge potential at large distances. From the potential, the charge density can be determined. This method may seem difficult, but with the help of resources such as the provided PDFs, it can be easily accomplished.
Chitran
How do I calculate the charge distribution on the surface of any asymmetric closed conducting surface? Is it possible for me to calculate the surface charge density 'σ' as a function of '[itex]\bar{r}[/itex]' the position vector in a spherical co-ordinate system in space, provided I know that the conductor has been qiven a net charge 'Q' and the equation of the conductor in space is ((x/a)^2)+((y/b)^2)+((z/c)^2)=1...

Physics news on Phys.org
For any conducting surface you will have to resort to an approximation.

In brief: use a numerical method to establish the Electric field for the system. Use that E field result to establish surface charge distribution.

But how do I calculate [itex]\bar{E}[/itex] if I don't know my σ? It's like the chicken egg problem except that it's not what comes first that matters, but I need one to know the other. All I know unfortunately is the shape of the conductor and the total charge Q which according to the uniqueness theorum has a unique way of settling on the surface in the abscence of any external electric field...

you don't need to know anything about the charge. Field lines are normal to a conducting surface and themselves normal to equipotentials. This means that you can set up a grid with random starting values for potential and by recalculating each value in turn end up closer to the correct solution.

a quick google gave this http://www.physics.hku.hk/~phys3231/pdf/P1%20-%20Static%20Electric%20Field%20-%20Laplaces%20equation%20in%202D.pdf The 3d process is very similar.

Also http://www.ece.msstate.edu/~donohoe/ece3323analytical_numerical_techniques.pdf you need the last few pages.

The procedure looks hard but really isn't: Though it is a long time since I last did one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just solve Laplace's equation for the potential. You know that the potential on the surface is a constant (which you may as well set to zero) and that the potential at large distances should look like that of a point charge, so you have your 2 boundary conditions. From the potential, you can determine the charge density.

Related to Calculating the charge distribution on the surface of an assymetric conductor

What is charge distribution on the surface of an assymetric conductor?

Charge distribution on the surface of an assymetric conductor refers to the uneven distribution of electric charge on the surface of a conductor that has an irregular shape or varying thickness. This uneven distribution occurs due to the presence of both positive and negative charges on the surface of the conductor.

How is the charge distribution on the surface of an assymetric conductor calculated?

The charge distribution on the surface of an assymetric conductor can be calculated using Gauss's Law, which states that the net electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. This law can be used to determine the electric field at different points on the surface of the conductor, which in turn can be used to calculate the charge distribution.

Can the charge distribution on the surface of an assymetric conductor be constant?

No, the charge distribution on the surface of an assymetric conductor cannot be constant. This is because the electric field and charge distribution are affected by the shape and thickness of the conductor, which are not constant for an assymetric conductor. Therefore, the charge distribution will vary at different points on the surface of the conductor.

How does the charge distribution on the surface of an assymetric conductor affect the electric potential?

The charge distribution on the surface of an assymetric conductor affects the electric potential by creating a non-uniform electric field around the conductor. This results in a difference in electric potential at different points on the surface, leading to a potential difference between two points and causing charge to flow from one point to another.

What are some real-life applications of calculating the charge distribution on the surface of an assymetric conductor?

Calculating the charge distribution on the surface of an assymetric conductor is important in various fields of science and technology. It is used in designing electrical circuits, analyzing the behavior of lightning strikes, and understanding the movement of charged particles in plasma. It is also crucial in the development of electronic devices and in the study of material properties in materials science.