Calculating the Age of Planets without Radioactive Dating

In summary, it is possible to calculate the age of terrestrial planets through radioactive dating of their rock formations. However, for gas planets, a different method is needed as we cannot currently land on them. One idea is to analyze the rotation of the planets, but this method can be affected by impacts and is not as accurate. Another more accurate method is to determine the age of the star, which can give an estimate of when the planet formed. The age of the solar system is currently being determined through dating the oldest meteorites and studying planetary formation from the solar protoplanetary disc.
Kelson Adams
I understand that it's possible to calculate the age of terrestial planets through radioactive dating their soil. However, the gas planets present a different challenge since we cannot currently land on them.

Any ideas on how to calculate their ages in a different manner?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thank you Greg!

I was actually thinking of analyzing the rotation of the planets to date them (similar to your stellar age estimation article you shared), though I think we would have a problem with Uranus and its extreme tilt.

Kelson Adams said:
I understand that it's possible to calculate the age of terrestial planets through radioactive dating their soil.

Technically, the radioactive dating is performed on rock formations. Soil is a mixture of bits of weathered rock and various types of organic material.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiometric_dating

Kelson Adams said:
Thank you Greg!

I was actually thinking of analyzing the rotation of the planets to date them (similar to your stellar age estimation article you shared), though I think we would have a problem with Uranus and its extreme tilt.
The rotation of the planets have been altered since their initial creation as a result of impacts. According to the latest ESA's Venus Express spacecraft , Venus's rotation has slowed down by 6.5 minutes per Venusian sidereal day since the Magellan spacecraft visited it 16 years ago. Earth's rotation before the Thea impact is unknown, but our rotation has definitely slowed down since that impact due to the gravitational pull of our moon. Rotation is not a good method for determining the age of a planet.

Without actually taking surface samples, the best method for determining the age of a planet is as Greg Bernhardt posted above, by determining the age of the star. Planets would have formed within a few million years after the protostar becomes a star. The only time I can think of where that would not be the case would be with captured planets, but they would be extremely rare.

Likes Kelson Adams
Thank you so much for the thorough explanation! That is really incredible how much Venus's rotation is slowing down... Is it due to tidal locking with the Sun or some other factor? Thanks again for the informative response :)

Actually the dating of the Earth is by radioactive dating performed on the rock formations of the Earth. The problem with this is the Earth's crust is by no means primordial. The earliest terrestrial surface rock formation is about 4.03 Gys old and is part of the Acasta Gneiss of the Slave craton in northwestern Canada. Older still is a tiny zircon crystal from Western Australia dated at 4.4 Gyrs.

The earliest lunar rocks date from 4.46 Gyrs ago (the Genesis rock) and typically from the great bombardment era of 3.8 Gyrs ago.

However the age of the Earth, and the Sun and its Solar System, is determined from dating the oldest meteorites, the carbonaceous chondrites dated at 4.6 Gyrs ago.

The dating of the other planets stems from this period of planetary formation from the solar protoplanetary disc.

Garth

Dating the age of the solar system is still a work in progress. I think we are pretty accurate at present. Radioactive dating is highly precise, which explains its continued popularity.

Related to Calculating the Age of Planets without Radioactive Dating

1. How is the age of planets calculated without radioactive dating?

The age of planets can be calculated using several methods including measuring the ratio of different isotopes in meteorites, studying the composition and density of a planet's atmosphere, and analyzing the geological features and formations on its surface.

2. What is the accuracy of calculating a planet's age without using radioactive dating?

The accuracy of calculating a planet's age without using radioactive dating can vary depending on the method used. However, with advancements in technology and scientific understanding, these methods have become increasingly accurate and reliable.

3. Can the age of all planets be calculated using the same method?

No, the age of planets may be calculated using different methods depending on their composition, size, and location in the solar system. For example, the age of a gas giant like Jupiter may be calculated differently than that of a rocky planet like Earth.

4. How do scientists know which method to use for calculating a planet's age?

Scientists evaluate factors such as the planet's composition, distance from the sun, and geological history to determine which method would be most effective in calculating its age. They may also use multiple methods to cross-check and verify their findings.

5. Can calculating the age of a planet without radioactive dating provide accurate results?

Yes, calculating a planet's age without using radioactive dating can provide accurate results. However, it is important to note that these methods are continuously being refined and improved as new discoveries and technologies emerge.