Calculating Tension in a Hypothetical Moon-Earth System

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tension in a hypothetical scenario where the moon is held in its orbit by a massless cable attached to the center of the earth instead of gravity. The equations used are F=ma, a=v^2/r, and v=2πr/T. By substituting the given values for period, mass, and mean radius of the moon, the formula F=m((2πr/T)^2)/r) is derived. However, the answer in the back of the book is 2.01x10^20, while the calculated answer is 9.08x10^20. The discrepancy may be due to incorrect input of numbers or incorrect values provided in the book.
aracali

Homework Statement

Suppose the moon were held in its orbit not by gravity but by a massless cable attached to the center of the earth. Find the tension in the cable.

Homework Equations

F=ma
a=v^2/r
v=2πr/T

(since the pictures aren't working, I'm just going to post the url to the image) (http://imgur.com/Ktj98f6 ) All the numbers I used are from the back of the book, shown here. (I used the period, mass and mean radius shown in the image)

The Attempt at a Solution

From all the equations, I figured that the new formula using substitution would be F=m((2πr/T)^2)/r) (http://imgur.com/e7QMdTG )

Now the answer at the back of the book says 2.01x10^20, but I keep getting 9.08x10^20. I've rechecked my math hundreds of times, and I've also tried plugging in the numbers into the original equations one at a time and I keep getting the same answer. So I figured the only thing that is wrong then is the numbers, but the numbers came straight from the book, so they can't be wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you present your math here, step by step? If you also include the constants that you use (there aren't that many!) you can avoid the image links.

Related to Calculating Tension in a Hypothetical Moon-Earth System

1. What is the definition of "dynamics in two dimensions"?

Dynamics in two dimensions refers to the study of the motion of objects in a two-dimensional space, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of the motion.

2. How is the motion of an object in two dimensions represented?

The motion of an object in two dimensions is typically represented using vectors, which include both the magnitude (speed) and direction of the object's motion.

3. What is the difference between linear and projectile motion in two dimensions?

Linear motion in two dimensions involves movement in a straight line, while projectile motion involves movement in a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

4. How is acceleration calculated in two-dimensional motion?

Acceleration in two-dimensional motion is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented using vectors as well.

5. What role does friction play in dynamics in two dimensions?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can affect the acceleration and velocity of an object in two-dimensional motion. It is an important factor to consider in analyzing the dynamics of an object's motion.