Calculating Subsystem B Probability in a Two-System Setup

• I
  • Thread starter nashed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, to compute the probability of subsystem B being in state |c>, you would sum over all possible states for the first part of the system, and then apply the identity operator to the state of the sub-system.
nashed
This is a rather basic question but I seem to be stuck, given a system made up of two subsystems how do I compute the probability of subsystem B to be in some state (for example I've got |p>=|a>|b> if I measure the second part what's the probability of it being found in state |c>, how am I supposed to deal with |a>?)

Physics news on Phys.org
nashed said:
for example I've got |p>=|a>|b> if I measure the second part what's the probability of it being found in state |c>, how am I supposed to deal with |a>?
The blunt answer, disregarding of whether or not the system is of fermionic or bosonic, is to sum all probabilities of the outcome in which the second component is ##|c\rangle## from your measurement.
A simple example is finding the probability of a particle to be found in a region ##c<z<c+\Delta z## where ##\Delta z## is very small, if the probability associated with this particle is denoted as ##\rho(x,y,z)##, then you would want to calculate ##\Delta z \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \rho(x,z,c) \ dx\ dy##.

Last edited:
just to make sure, if I've got a system of 2 qubits (let's say ## |\psi \rangle = \frac 1 \sqrt(2) (|00\rangle + |11\rangle ) ## ) and I want to check what's the probability of measuring the second qubit to be a ## |0\rangle ## I"ll be checking $$ \langle \psi | \sum_i |i\rangle\langle i| \otimes |0\rangle\langle 0| |\psi \rangle $$
and then I"ll have $$ \sum_i |i\rangle\langle i| = I $$ so I get $$ \langle \psi | I \otimes |0\rangle\langle 0| |\psi \rangle $$

nashed said:
just to make sure, if I've got a system of 2 qubits (let's say ## |\psi \rangle = \frac 1 \sqrt(2) (|00\rangle + |11\rangle ) ## ) and I want to check what's the probability of measuring the second qubit to be a ## |0\rangle ## I"ll be checking $$ \langle \psi | \sum_i |i\rangle\langle i| \otimes |0\rangle\langle 0| |\psi \rangle $$
and then I"ll have $$ \sum_i |i\rangle\langle i| = I $$ so I get $$ \langle \psi | I \otimes |0\rangle\langle 0| |\psi \rangle $$
That doesn't look right to me. ##|\psi\rangle## is a composite state while either ##|0\rangle## or ##|1\rangle## is just one component of the whole system, the scalar inner product between them is undefined. You will need to project ##|\psi\rangle## to the subspace where the second bit iz ##|0\rangle## and calculate the norm of resulting state.

nashed said:
This is a rather basic question but I seem to be stuck, given a system made up of two subsystems how do I compute the probability of subsystem B to be in some state (for example I've got |p>=|a>|b> if I measure the second part what's the probability of it being found in state |c>, how am I supposed to deal with |a>?)

From the state its easily seen they are separate systems. Measuring one has no effect on the other. Now if they were entangled that is another matter, but the subject for another thread to explain what entanglement is and what's going on. The short answer is if entangled they are in a mixed state when observing just one system - but like I said requires its own thread. I have posted the math of it before and will need to dig it up which can take a while.

Thanks
Bill

I actually know what entanglement is, my main problem is that I'm used to working with operators on the whole system so when I was told that I need to calculate a probability on a subsystem I was taken aback.

My thought process is that I should sum over all possible states for the first part of the system, only I have no idea how to do that.

nashed said:
My thought process is that I should sum over all possible states for the first part of the system, only I have no idea how to do that.

Simply apply it to the state of the sub-system - forget the other system.

Technically it lies in the combined vector space of the two systems but operators on one system commutes with state of the other - it's the identity operator.

Thanks
Bill

Related to Calculating Subsystem B Probability in a Two-System Setup

1. What is probability for a subsystem?

Probability for a subsystem refers to the likelihood or chance of a specific event or outcome occurring within a larger system. It is a measure of uncertainty and is often expressed as a decimal or percentage between 0 and 1.

2. How is probability for a subsystem calculated?

The probability for a subsystem is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes or events by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented by the formula P(A) = n(A)/n(S), where P(A) is the probability of event A, n(A) is the number of desired outcomes, and n(S) is the total number of possible outcomes.

3. What factors affect the probability for a subsystem?

The probability for a subsystem can be affected by various factors such as the number of possible outcomes, the likelihood of each outcome occurring, and the presence of any biases or external influences. Additionally, the probability may change over time as new information is obtained or as the system itself changes.

4. How is probability for a subsystem used in scientific research?

In scientific research, probability for a subsystem is often used to make predictions and draw conclusions about a larger system. It can also be used to determine the significance of experimental results and to assess the likelihood of certain events or outcomes in a given system.

5. How does probability for a subsystem relate to other statistical concepts?

Probability for a subsystem is closely related to other statistical concepts such as random variables, sampling, and hypothesis testing. It is also used in conjunction with concepts like mean, standard deviation, and confidence intervals to better understand and analyze data within a system.