Calculating sublimation temperature

In summary: I Got The Right Answer Of 145 K Thanks So Much.In summary, the standard enthalpy of sublimation of dry ice is 6.03 kJ/mol and the triple point of CO2 is at 5.1 atm and -59.7 °C. To calculate the normal sublimation temperature of CO2 at 1.00 atm pressure, the Clausius-Clapeyron equation can be used. By solving the differential equation and using the initial conditions, the value of the constant of integration can be found. Then, by plugging in the given pressure and solving for temperature, the normal sublimation temperature of CO2 at 1.00 atm pressure can be calculated to be 145
xdrgnh

Homework Statement

The standard enthalpy of sublimation of dry ice (solid carbon dioxide) is 6.03 kJ/mol.
The triple point of CO2 is at 5.1 atm, -59.7 °C.

Calculate the normal sublimation temperature of CO2 at 1.00 atm pressure.

Homework Equations

Delta G= Delta H-T(delta S)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know delta G will be zero and and that delta H will be the same as the standard Enthalpy. I imagime I need to calculate delta entropy for sublimation at 1 atm but I have no idea how.

Physics news on Phys.org
xdrgnh said:

Homework Statement

The standard enthalpy of sublimation of dry ice (solid carbon dioxide) is 6.03 kJ/mol.
The triple point of CO2 is at 5.1 atm, -59.7 °C.

Calculate the normal sublimation temperature of CO2 at 1.00 atm pressure.

Homework Equations

Delta G= Delta H-T(delta S)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know delta G will be zero and and that delta H will be the same as the standard Enthalpy. I imagime I need to calculate delta entropy for sublimation at 1 atm but I have no idea how.
This looks like a Clausius-Clapeyron problem.

Chet

I know dP/dT= delta S/ delta V. Do I find delta V using delta H= p times delta v where p is pressure specifically 5.1 atm?

xdrgnh said:
I know dP/dT= delta S/ delta V. Do I find delta V using delta H= p times delta v where p is pressure specifically 5.1 atm?
No. You need to look up the derivation of the Clausius-Clapeyron equation. This will tell you how to get from your first equation to an equation you can actually use to solve this problem.

Think about this: The ΔS and the ΔV in your first equation refer to the changes in entropy and volume between two equilibrium states. What are those two equilibrium states? Is the volume in one of the equilibrium states much less than the volume in the other equilibrium state? How is the change in entropy between the two equilibrium states related to the change in enthalpy?

Chet

Last edited:
Enthalpy Over Temperature Gives Entropy. Can I Treat The Vapors As An Ideal Has And Use The Idea Gas Law To Find Volume Of The Gas?

xdrgnh said:
Enthalpy Over Temperature Gives Entropy. Can I Treat The Vapors As An Ideal Has And Use The Idea Gas Law To Find Volume Of The Gas?
If you mean enthalpy change over temperature gives entropy change, then yes. Regarding the ideal gas law, yes. You also neglect the specific volume of the liquid. These are the assumptions Clapeyron used.

Chet

Do I Need To Solve The ClaudiusRelation To Get P=Ce^-(L/RT)

xdrgnh said:
Do I Need To Solve The ClaudiusRelation To Get P=Ce^-(L/RT)

No. This is the essentially equivalent to the Clausius Clapeyron equation. All you need to do first is use your input data to get the value of the constant of integration C for your problem.

Chet

You Mean Yes For Solving The DE I Then Use The Initial Conditions At P= 5.1 Atm To Find C Once I Have C I Can Plug In 1 ATM For The Pressure And Solve For T Right?

xdrgnh said:
You Mean Yes For Solving The DE I Then Use The Initial Conditions At P= 5.1 Atm To Find C Once I Have C I Can Plug In 1 ATM For The Pressure And Solve For T Right?
Excellent. Great job.

Chet

I Got The Right Answer Of 145 K Thanks So Much.

Related to Calculating sublimation temperature

1. What is sublimation temperature?

Sublimation temperature is the temperature at which a solid changes directly into a gas without first becoming a liquid. This process is known as sublimation.

2. How is sublimation temperature calculated?

The sublimation temperature can be calculated using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, which takes into account the enthalpy of sublimation and the vapor pressure of the substance at a given temperature.

3. Is sublimation temperature the same for all substances?

No, the sublimation temperature varies for different substances and can be affected by factors such as pressure and purity of the substance.

4. What is the significance of sublimation temperature in science?

Sublimation temperature is an important factor in processes such as freeze-drying, where substances are dried by sublimation instead of evaporation. It is also used in the production of materials such as dry ice and in scientific techniques such as sublimation chromatography.

5. Can sublimation temperature be altered?

Yes, sublimation temperature can be altered by changing the pressure or purity of the substance. It can also be affected by the presence of impurities or by adding substances that can form complexes with the original substance.