Calculating Strength of Electromagnets

In summary, the individual is having difficulty understanding an equation for calculating the strength of an electromagnet. They have found the equation but are unsure how to use it to get the correct answer of 100 henries per meter. They also have a question about converting from henries per centimeter to henries per meter.
burnit
Hi,

This is not homework, I'm just confused:

I have been asking on the electrical engineering forum about calculating the strength of electromagnets.

After some searching i have found the equations but i just can't quite get a handle on some of it?

They have an iron core C shaped electromagnet 15cm long & 1cm square in area.

They write: The reluctance of the air gap is 1 centimeter divided by 1 times 1 square centimeter.

The answer they have is 100 henries per meter.

How do they calculate this to get 100 as the answer?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I forgot to add that the air gap is 1cm & the permeability of air is 1 in this example.

Thanks

Ok, i'll have a go at it, the equation is:

(1 centimeter) / (1 * 1 (square centimeter)) = 100 m-1

I noticed that Reluctance is in Henries per Meter but the above calculation is in Centimeters so i assume the answers i have been getting are actually Henries per Centimeter, do i simply multiply the answer by 100 to change it to meters & then the answer is in Henries per meter & seem correct?.

Related to Calculating Strength of Electromagnets

1. How do you calculate the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet can be calculated using the formula F = (N * I)^2 * μ0 * A / (2 * g^2), where F is the force in Newtons, N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current in Amperes, μ0 is the permeability of free space, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and g is the distance between the coil and the magnetic field.

2. What factors affect the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the amount of current flowing through the coil, the permeability of the core material, and the distance between the coil and the magnetic field.

3. How does changing the current affect the strength of an electromagnet?

Increasing the current flowing through the coil will increase the strength of the electromagnet, while decreasing the current will decrease the strength. This is because the magnetic field produced by the current is directly proportional to the current.

4. Can the strength of an electromagnet be increased?

Yes, the strength of an electromagnet can be increased by increasing the number of turns in the coil, increasing the current flowing through the coil, or using a core material with a higher permeability.

5. How can the strength of an electromagnet be tested or measured?

The strength of an electromagnet can be tested or measured using a gaussmeter, which measures the strength of the magnetic field. The gaussmeter can be placed at different distances from the electromagnet to determine the strength at different distances.