Calculating Speed and Acceleration of Second Hand on Town Clock

In summary, the speed of the tip of the second hand on a town clock with the same length is 0.1092 m/s and the centripetal acceleration is 0.00728 m/s2. To find the radius, the equation V=2pi*r/T can be used with T being the time taken for one revolution of the hand. The angular velocity ω can also be used to find r using the equation v = ω r.
Muneerah

Homework Statement

The speed of the tip of the minute hand on a
town clock is 0.00182 m/s.
What is the speed of the tip of the second
hand of the same length?
Answer in units of m/s.

What is the centripetal acceleration of the tip
of the second hand?
Answer in units of m/s2.

Homework Equations

ac=4pi2r/T2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok to find the speed of the second, I multiplied by 60 and got .1092 m/s
for the acceleration I'm not given r, so I need to find r using this equation, V=2pi r/T
I was wondering what id T ? is it 60 seconds ? Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Muneerah said:
for the acceleration I'm not given r, so I need to find r using this equation, V=2pi r/T
I was wondering what id T ? is it 60 seconds ? Thank you

V=2pi*r/T is just distance divided by time, so T has to be the time taken for the hand to make one revolution. Of course, that depends on which hand you're considering.

You can find r by using the angular velocity ω from v = ω r. What is ω for the second hand?

so I found r which is 1.638m and I used 60s for T
I got .00728 for the acceleration and this isn't the right answer, please tell me what is it that I'm not doing right thanks.

If you don't show exactly how you got these numbers for the radius and for the acceleration, we cannot tell you what you are not doing right.

kuruman said:
If you don't show exactly how you got these numbers for the radius and for the acceleration, we cannot tell you what you are not doing right.

I'm sorry, but it's ok I figured out what I was doing wrong.

Related to Calculating Speed and Acceleration of Second Hand on Town Clock

1. What is Uniform Circular Motion?

Uniform Circular Motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. The speed of the object remains the same, but the direction of motion constantly changes, resulting in a circular path.

2. What causes Uniform Circular Motion?

In Uniform Circular Motion, there are two main forces acting on the object: centripetal force and inertia. Centripetal force is directed towards the center of the circular path and is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular path. Inertia, on the other hand, is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion, and it causes the object to continue moving in a straight line.

3. How is Uniform Circular Motion different from other types of motion?

Uniform Circular Motion is different from other types of motion because the speed of the object remains constant, but the direction of motion is constantly changing. This is different from linear motion, where the direction and speed of the object are constant, or non-uniform circular motion, where the speed of the object changes.

4. What is the role of velocity in Uniform Circular Motion?

Velocity is an important aspect of Uniform Circular Motion as it describes the speed and direction of the object's motion. In Uniform Circular Motion, the velocity of the object is always tangent to the circular path, and it changes as the direction of the object's motion changes.

5. How is Uniform Circular Motion used in real-life applications?

Uniform Circular Motion is used in various real-life applications, such as amusement park rides, centrifuges, and the motion of planets around the sun. It is also used in sports, such as ice skating and gymnastics, where athletes perform circular motions at a constant speed.