Calculating Spacecraft Weight Using Newton's Second Law

In summary, the conversation discusses a spacecraft descending near the surface of Planet X and the effects of different thrusts on its speed. Applying Newton's second law, the weight of the spacecraft near the surface of Planet X can be found by setting the sum of the forces equal to the mass times acceleration. The direction of acceleration is upward for a 25 kN thrust and downward for a 10 kN thrust. However, due to the varying gravity at different altitudes, this problem may not accurately reflect reality.
ledhead86
A spacecraft descends vertically near the surface of Planet X. An upward thrust of 25.0 kN from its engines slows it down at a rate of 1.2 m/s^2, but if an upward thrust of only 10.0 kN is applied, it speeds up at a rate of 0.80 m/s^2.

Apply Newton's second law to each case, slowing down or speeding up, and use this to find the spacecraft 's weight near the surface of Planet X.

I am completely confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that f=m*a, and w=m*g, but other than that I am completely lost.

That's really oddly worded.

I think it's falling with a certain speed and is being pulled on by the planet's gravity. If it has a thrust of 25 kN then it'll actually accelerate away from the planet at -1.2 m/s^2, where the negative sign denotes going away from the planet. However, if it has a thrust of 10 kN then the ship will still be pulled towards the planet at: [Gravity - Acceleration due to thrust = 0.8 m/s^2]

Write an equation for the 25 kN force like the one above. Looks like you can use those equations and [(change in) F = M * (change in) A]

Skippy said:
That's really oddly worded.
I think it's falling with a certain speed and is being pulled on by the planet's gravity. If it has a thrust of 25 kN then it'll actually accelerate away from the planet at -1.2 m/s^2, where the negative sign denotes going away from the planet. However, if it has a thrust of 10 kN then the ship will still be pulled towards the planet at: [Gravity - Acceleration due to thrust = 0.8 m/s^2]
Write an equation for the 25 kN force like the one above. Looks like you can use those equations and [(change in) F = M * (change in) A]

you must be reading the problem wrong. It is descending at a certain rate. If they fire their boosters with a thrust of 25 kn then they will slow their descent to a rate of 1.2 m/s^2. If they only fire there boosters with a 10 kn thrust, their descent will continue to have an acceleration of .8 m/s^2.
They are moving towards the surface in both situations. But in the first situation, their velocity is slowing, and in the second situation, their velocity is getting faster.

bump...

Sum the forces on the ship. That shouldn't be too hard because there's only two: the thrust and gravity.

I know that f=m*a,

That's a little too simple. It's the sum of the forces that equals ma. Find the sum of the forces, set it equal to ma, and solve for m. Once you know m, finding mg should be easy.

Are you saying I should add 25+10, and 1.2=.8. And then plug those into f=ma to find m, which would be 17.5? Still confused.

Also, the direction of the acceleration in the case of 25kn thrust would be upward and the direction of the acceleration in the case of the 10kn thrust would be downward? Correct?

I think Newton's secondly law says that forces on an object are its mass by acceleration ... so..
a being grav for planet X
thrust 1 + weight of obj to planet X is the mass of the object times its accel ...
F_g = m * accel due to planet X's gravity
25.0 kN + F_g = m * 1.2 m/s^2
and, similarly but with thrust 2
10.0 kN + F_g = m * -0.80 m/s^2
Some people might get antsy with the units, but I think I'm consistent enough to where as long as we have a positive mass it'll all be alright
.. 2 variables, 2 equations

this problem isn't really... true to its roots because gravity is different at different altitudes.. and being outside of planet X means that the g value isn't the actual gravity... so the question kind of takes a bigger picture and crams it into grain of sand

at least, that's how i'd do it.

Use the difference in accelerations, and the difference in forces, to find the mass.

I ended up with
w=16000N
g=~2.1

(highlight to view)

well... you know that the force of the thrust- force of the weight = ma...

So:

Fthrust-Fweight=m*a

work with that.

Related to Calculating Spacecraft Weight Using Newton's Second Law

1. What is weight and how is it different from mass?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object. It is different from mass, which is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Mass does not change with location, but weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity in different locations.

2. How does Newton's First Law relate to finding weight?

Newton's First Law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. In terms of finding weight, this means that an object with a constant weight will not change its velocity unless acted upon by a force, such as gravity.

3. How do Newton's Second and Third Laws apply to finding weight?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration and thus, its weight. Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In terms of finding weight, this means that the force of gravity pulling an object down is counteracted by the force of the object pushing back up.

4. Can weight change over time?

Yes, weight can change over time. This can happen due to a change in location, as the strength of gravity varies at different locations. It can also change if an external force, such as a person pushing or pulling on an object, is applied to the object.

5. How is weight measured and what units is it typically expressed in?

Weight is typically measured using a scale, which measures the force of gravity acting on an object. The most common units for weight are Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs). In scientific contexts, weight is often expressed in Newtons, while in everyday use, it is commonly expressed in pounds.