Calculating Solar Rotation Using Sunspot Observations

In summary: Again, I apologize for not being more clear.In summary, the student is trying to calculate solar motion and is having difficulty because they do not understand the equations.
magnanimousto

Homework Statement

Calculating solar of the sun through observing sunspots. We are given a series of photos of the sun over a period of time where we can see sun spots.

I am assuming the way to calculate would be to work out the longitudinal angles of the sun spots in the different photos and then use Angular Displacement to figure it out. The problem is I have no idea how to calculate longitude, or how to get the longitudinal values into something I can plug into the Angular Displacement equation.

Homework Equations

from what I understand θ=s/r. θ= ωt. But I have no idea how to use the data to get quantities I can plug into this.

Attachments

• 20130301_0000_hmiigr_512.jpg
    20130301_0000_hmiigr_512.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 446
  • 20130302_0130_hmiigr_512.jpg
    20130302_0130_hmiigr_512.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a sketch?

For a given latitude and longitude, can you determine where you would see a sunspot? Then you just have to reverse the direction of the calculation.

sketch it out like this you mean? how would I find the quantative values from this?

Attachments

• 20130301_0000_hmiigr_512.jpg
    20130301_0000_hmiigr_512.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 392
What data accompanies each observation? Presumably a time stamp of some form, but anything else? What's the timeframe for the whole series?

The reason I ask is that the Sun's rotational axis actually has a tilt (inclination) of about 7.5° to the ecliptic, so the time of year when the snapshot is taken, presuming an Earth-based platform for capturing the photos, will influence the apparent latitude -- spots won't track horizontally unless the viewing position has the rotation axis vertical and is located in the plane of the Sun's equator.

magnanimousto said:
sketch it out like this you mean?
That's not the direction I had in mind, but it can be useful as well.
how would I find the quantative values from this?
Well first you have to find the position in the image (like x,y-coordinates), and afterwards you have to translate this to a position on the actual (curved) surface of sun.

@gneill: I guess we can neglect this here.

mfb said:
@gneill: I guess we can neglect this here.
Could be. I can't tell the course level that the question pertains to from the given info, that's why I threw that out to see what the response might be. Carry on...

OK I get it. Thanks guys. I use the measurement of the x,y co-ordinates and then sin(inverse) to find angle. Then calculate difference in angle between the two spots per difference in time which would give me the angular velocity.

Related to Calculating Solar Rotation Using Sunspot Observations

1. How is the solar rotation period calculated?

The solar rotation period is calculated by tracking the movement of sunspots on the surface of the sun. As the sun rotates, these sunspots appear to move across its surface. By measuring the time it takes for a sunspot to complete one full rotation, scientists can determine the solar rotation period.

2. What is the average solar rotation period?

The average solar rotation period, also known as the synodic period, is approximately 27 days. This is the time it takes for the sun to rotate once on its axis relative to the Earth's position.

3. How does the solar rotation period affect Earth's weather patterns?

The solar rotation period plays a role in Earth's weather patterns through the sun's magnetic field. As the sun rotates, its magnetic field also rotates and can impact Earth's magnetic field. This can result in changes in Earth's climate and weather patterns.

4. Can solar rotation be affected by other factors?

Yes, solar rotation can be affected by other factors such as solar flares, coronal mass ejections, and other solar activity. These events can disrupt the sun's magnetic field and cause fluctuations in the solar rotation period.

5. How accurate are calculations of solar rotation?

Calculations of solar rotation are fairly accurate, with a margin of error of only a few hours. However, there are still uncertainties and variations in the solar rotation period due to the sun's complex and dynamic nature.