Calculating Separation of Car and Truck

In summary, a car and truck heading towards each other on a straight street avoid a collision by applying brakes at t=0. The resulting velocity-versus-time graphs show the car at x=24 and the truck at x=-44. Using the equations xf=xi+1/2(vf+vi)*t, the final positions of the car and truck are calculated to be 36.5m and -70.25m, respectively. The separation between the two objects when they have come to rest is 33.75m. The positive and negative signs indicate the direction of the objects.
egadda2

Homework Statement

phsy1.jpg

A car and a truck are heading directly toward one another on a straight and narrow street, but they avoid a head-on collision by simultaneously applying their brakes at t=0 . The resulting velocity-versus-time graphs are shown in the figure .

What is the separation between the car and the truck when they have come to rest, given that at t = 0 the car is at x = 24 and the truck is at x = -44 ? (Note that this information determines which line in the graph corresponds to which vehicle.)

Homework Equations

xf = xi + 1/2 (vf + vi)[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

xcar = 25 m + 1/2 (0 + 10 m/s)(2.5s) = 36.5
xtruck = -44 + 1/2 (0 - 15 m/s)(3.5s) = -70.25

xtruck - xcar = -33.75 m?

Physics news on Phys.org

The area under a curve is the displacement. Now look at the graph and figure out which one is the car and truck. The car is at a positive position and heading towards the truck which has a negative position which would give it a ________ velocity.

I believe displacement and velocity are vectors properties therefore positive and negative describe the direction of the object.
Firstly, the 1st equation should be (initial distance - distance traveled during the deceleration) because the object is getting closer and closer to the origin where you measure the distance of 25m. The same for the second equation, it should be -44-(-26.5).Lastly, the question is asking for the separation of both the object so there should not be a negative sign.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Separation of Car and Truck

1. How do I calculate the separation between a car and a truck?

To calculate the separation between a car and a truck, you will need to measure the distance between the front of the car and the front of the truck. This will give you the total distance between the two vehicles.

2. What units should I use when calculating the separation of a car and a truck?

The units used to measure the separation between a car and a truck will depend on the specific situation and what is being measured. Typically, the distance between the two vehicles will be measured in meters or feet. However, if the separation is being used in a mathematical equation, the units may be converted to a unit that is more appropriate for the calculation.

3. Can I use the average speed of the car and truck to calculate the separation?

No, the average speed of the car and truck cannot be used to directly calculate the separation between them. The separation is determined by the distance between the two vehicles, not their speeds. However, knowing the average speed of the vehicles may be helpful in determining how long it will take for the separation to increase or decrease.

4. What factors can affect the separation between a car and a truck?

The separation between a car and a truck can be affected by various factors, including the speed and acceleration of the vehicles, the size and weight of the vehicles, the distance between them, and any external forces such as wind or road conditions.

5. How can I use the separation between a car and a truck in my research or experiments?

The separation between a car and a truck can be used in a variety of research and experimental studies. For example, it can be used to analyze traffic patterns, study the effects of different vehicle sizes on road safety, or determine the optimal distance for safe driving. The separation can also be used in engineering and design projects to ensure proper spacing between vehicles on the road.