Calculating Rotational & Transitional KE of Rolling Cylinder

In summary, The person is seeking help with finding the rotational and transitional kinetic energy of a cylinder rolling down a ramp. They have the total kinetic energy and information about the cylinder and ramp, but are having trouble finding the specific energies. They mention an equation involving angular and linear velocity that may be helpful.
smilingsteph
My textbook is not helping me on this, so I'd love some help.

A cylinder is rolling down a ramp, without slipping. I have the total kinetic energy, but now need to know the rotational kinetic energy and transitional kinetic energy at the bottom of the ramp.

I have the mass, radius, length, w, v, and I of the cylinder and the height and length of the ramp. I know it should be super easy at this point, as I know the total energy. But nothing's working. HELP! I have that: KE tot = 1/2 I x w^2 + 1/2 m x v^2. Any guidance?

Physics news on Phys.org
smilingsteph said:
My textbook is not helping me on this, so I'd love some help.

A cylinder is rolling down a ramp, without slipping. I have the total kinetic energy, but now need to know the rotational kinetic energy and transitional kinetic energy at the bottom of the ramp.

I have the mass, radius, length, w, v, and I of the cylinder and the height and length of the ramp. I know it should be super easy at this point, as I know the total energy. But nothing's working. HELP! I have that: KE tot = 1/2 I x w^2 + 1/2 m x v^2. Any guidance?
Since the cylinder is rolling without slipping, can you relate the angular velocity to the linear velocity?

yes i woudl assume so. v=vo + at to w=wo + alphaT

smilingsteph said:
yes i woudl assume so. v=vo + at to w=wo + alphaT
They weren't the equations I was thinking of, there is one equation which directly relates the angular velocity of a cylinder to the linear velocity of the surface of the cylinder.

Ohhh really? I was looking online for that and haven't had any luck so far. I'll continue to look! Thanks!

smilingsteph said:
Ohhh really? I was looking online for that and haven't had any luck so far. I'll continue to look! Thanks!
Perhaps:

[tex]\omega =\frac{v}{r}[/tex]

would help.

ohhh ok thanks! i'll see if that works. THANKS!

Related to Calculating Rotational & Transitional KE of Rolling Cylinder

1. What is the formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy of a rolling cylinder?

The formula for calculating the rotational kinetic energy of a rolling cylinder is KE = (1/2) * I * ω2, where KE is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

2. How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a rolling cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a rolling cylinder can be calculated using the formula I = (1/2) * m * r2, where m is the mass of the cylinder and r is the radius of the cylinder.

3. How is the rotational kinetic energy of a rolling cylinder related to its translational kinetic energy?

The rotational kinetic energy of a rolling cylinder is equal to its translational kinetic energy, as long as there is no slipping or friction present.

4. How does the rotational kinetic energy of a rolling cylinder change with respect to its angular velocity?

The rotational kinetic energy of a rolling cylinder increases with the square of its angular velocity. This means that a cylinder with a higher angular velocity will have a significantly higher rotational kinetic energy compared to one with a lower angular velocity.

5. Can the rotational kinetic energy of a rolling cylinder be negative?

No, the rotational kinetic energy of a rolling cylinder cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it is directly proportional to the square of the angular velocity.