Calculating Rotational Kinetic Energy of a Falling Ball-Rod System

In summary, a cylindrical rod with a length of 36.4 cm and mass of 0.655 kg, and a 18.5 kg ball with a diameter of 11.4 cm attached to one end, is originally in a vertical arrangement with the ball at the top and free to pivot about the other end. After rotating a quarter turn, the rotational kinetic energy of the system can be calculated using the formula KEr = 1/2 Iw^2, where I is the moment of inertia. The moment of inertia can be found using the parallel axis theorem and the angular velocity can be calculated using v = \omega r_{cm}. The rotational axis is through the pivot point and there is no translational kinetic
Momentum09

Homework Statement

A cylindrical rod 36.4 cm long has mass 0.655kg and radius 1.1cm. A 18.5kg ball of diameter 11.4cm is attached to one end. The arrangement is originally vertical with the ball at the top and is free to pivot about the other end. After the ball-rod system falls a quarter turn, what is its rotational kinetic energy?

Homework Equations

KEr = 1/2 Iw^2.
mgh = 1/2Iw^2 + 1/2 mv^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the moment of inertia of the ball-rod system, but then I don't know what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
How are they defining "rotational KE"? Do they mean rotational KE about the center of mass? (The object can be considered to be in pure rotation about the end point, and thus all its KE is rotational KE about that point.)

If they mean rotation KE about the center of mass, then use [itex]v = \omega r_{cm}[/itex] to relate rotational and translational speeds.

During the quarter turn rotation what is the vertical displacement of the center of mass? Hence what can you say about the change in gravitational potential energy of the system? Where does that energy go? Looks pretty clear to me that they mean you to consider rotational energy about the pivot point, so yes, consider all motion rotational.

Dick said:
Looks pretty clear to me that they mean you to consider rotational energy about the pivot point, so yes, consider all motion rotational.
If that's the case, then no need to find the moment of inertia. :wink: (To me it's still a bit ambiguous.)

Doc Al said:
If that's the case, then no need to find the moment of inertia. :wink: (To me it's still a bit ambiguous.)

Good point. Please ignore things that "are pretty clear to me" without foundation.

Thank you so much! I got it.

So if I were to find the angular speed of the system at that point, would I just do
Rotational Kinetic energy = 1/2 Iw^2, where I = 1/3ML^2 + 2/5MR^2 + (L+R)^2?

Momentum09 said:
Thank you so much! I got it.

So the rotational axis they are referring to IS through the pivot point?? No translational KE after all?

yes just rotational KE

Momentum09 said:
yes just rotational KE

Then, yes, just use moment of inertia to solve for angular velocity. I notice you've included the R of the sphere to the parallel axis part for the sphere. So you have decided that the ball is glued on to the end of the rod? (BTW you only have one M symbol in your moment expression and none at all on the (L+R)^2 part. Just typos, right?).

lol yeah :)

Related to Calculating Rotational Kinetic Energy of a Falling Ball-Rod System

1. What is torque on a cylindrical rod?

Torque on a cylindrical rod refers to the rotational force or moment that is applied to the rod. It is measured in units of newton-meters (N-m) and is a product of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is torque calculated for a cylindrical rod?

To calculate torque on a cylindrical rod, you will need to know the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is: Torque = Force x Distance. Make sure that both the force and distance are in the same units (e.g. N and meters).

3. What factors affect the torque on a cylindrical rod?

The torque on a cylindrical rod can be affected by a number of factors, including the magnitude and direction of the force applied, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the material properties of the rod (such as its diameter and length).

4. How does torque on a cylindrical rod relate to angular acceleration?

Torque and angular acceleration are directly related to each other. The greater the torque applied to a cylindrical rod, the greater the resulting angular acceleration will be. This is because torque is the cause of rotational motion or acceleration.

5. What is the significance of torque on a cylindrical rod in real-life applications?

Torque on a cylindrical rod is important in many real-life applications, such as in engines and motors. It is also crucial in mechanical systems, where it is used to tighten bolts and screws. Understanding torque is essential in designing and building structures and machines that can withstand rotational forces and moments.