Calculating Rocket Velocity with External Forces

In summary, the author proves that if the total external force is F and it equals: F=mdv/dt+udm/dt, then the velocity of the rocket as a function of time can be found using the following equation: mg-bv=mdv/dt+udm/dt. However, the author thinks that this equation may not be correct, and would like help from the reader.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
A rocket ascends from rest in a uniform gravitational field by ejecting exhaust with constant speed u.
Assume that the rate at which mass is expelled is given by dm/dt=ms, where m is is the instantaneous mass of the rocket and s is a cosntant, and that the rocket is retarded by air resistance with a force bv where b is a constant. find the velocity of the rocket as a function of time.
in my text they have proven the case when the total external force is F and it equals: F=mdv/dt+udm/dt, i used this in the calculation, and got:
mg-bv=mdv/dt+udm/dt, but i don't think this correct, your help as always is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
loop quantum gravity said:
A rocket ascends from rest in a uniform gravitational field by ejecting exhaust with constant speed u.
Assume that the rate at which mass is expelled is given by dm/dt=ms, where m is is the instantaneous mass of the rocket and s is a cosntant, and that the rocket is retarded by air resistance with a force bv where b is a constant. find the velocity of the rocket as a function of time.
in my text they have proven the case when the total external force is F and it equals: F=mdv/dt+udm/dt, i used this in the calculation, and got:
mg-bv=mdv/dt+udm/dt, but i don't think this correct, your help as always is appreciated.

Newtons third law applies, you know, the equal but oppisite force one. The force that the mass leaving excerts on the rocket the rocket exerts on the mass. Then we are left with:
[tex]m*\frac{dv}{dt}=-v\frac{dm}{dt}[/tex]
Since:
[tex]\frac{dm}{dt}=ms[/tex]
Then:
[tex]m*\frac{dv}{dt}=-vms[/tex]
But I don't really know what I am doing and something seems wrong.
Maybe:
[tex]F=ma=m\frac{dv}{dt}-mg-bv=v\frac{dm}{dt}-mg-bv=vms-mg-bv[/tex]

Edit: on the last line on the last equal sign there should be a v by the ms, don't know why I am incompatible with latex sometimes

Last edited:
It looks like you were on the right track except some of the signs may have been reversed around. There are three forces involved, namely: F_thrust, F_grav, and F_air. Together, they produce a net force in the upward direction. Draw a free-body diagram if you cannot clearly visualize the direction in which these forces are acting.

[tex]F_{net} = m\frac{dv}{dt} = F_{thrust} - F_{grav} - F_{air}[/tex]

Substituting the values, you will get a linear differential equation you are probably expected to solve. Solving this, you will get v(t). Grab a math textbook, your physics text's appendix, or do a quick google if you don't know how to do differentials.

so mezarashi it should be:
mdv/dt=udm/dt-mg-bv
right?

just one more question, i get this equation:
v(t)=(us-g--bv/m)t and according to the text the teminal velocity is:
(us-g)/b, but i don't see how can i infer that from this equation?

Your differential equation looks correct, but your solution is clearly wrong. The solution to most differentials of this kind are inverse exponential, i.e. exp(-at). Since there is no (t) in the differential, the solution will most definitely have a 1/exp(t), thus as t approaches infinity, that factor will disappear leaving some other portion.

As I've mentioned, if the mathematics is a problem, you may want to consult a good introductory text that will lead you through step by step. To assist you there, I found a good scan online:

http://college.hmco.com/mathematics/larson/calculus_analytic/7e/shared/downloads/clc7eap1502.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
what is wrong in my integration?, I am given that:
mdv/dt=ums-mg-bv
dv/dt=us-g-bv/m
v=dx/dt
dv=(us-g-b/mdx/dt)dt
integrating gives:
[tex]\int_{0}^{v(t)}dv=\int_{0}^{t}(us-g)dt+\int_{0}^{x(t)}b/mdx[/tex]
what is wrong here?

dv/dt=us-g-dx/dtb/m
d^2x/dt^2=us-g-(b/v)dx/dt
shouldnt you point me to a second order differential equation text?

mezarashi, are you still here?

Related to Calculating Rocket Velocity with External Forces

1. What is momentum in relation to a rocket?

Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity. In the context of a rocket, momentum refers to the amount of force or thrust that the rocket is generating in order to move forward.

2. How is momentum related to a rocket's speed?

Momentum and speed are directly related. As the speed of a rocket increases, so does its momentum. This is because momentum takes into account both the mass and velocity of an object.

3. How does a rocket's mass affect its momentum?

The mass of a rocket has a direct impact on its momentum. A heavier rocket will have more momentum than a lighter one, assuming they are both traveling at the same speed.

4. Can a rocket's momentum be changed?

Yes, a rocket's momentum can be changed by altering its speed or its mass. By increasing the speed or mass, the rocket's momentum will also increase.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect a rocket's momentum?

Yes, other factors such as air resistance, gravity, and external forces can also affect a rocket's momentum. These factors must be taken into account during the design and launch of a rocket.