Calculating Resistance of Race Car Nosecone for Head-On Collision

In summary, the required resistance of a single seater race car's nosecone in the event of a head on collision can be calculated using the given data of the car's mass, velocity at impact, and the length of the nosecone. The peak and average deceleration values must also be taken into consideration. To find the resistance, the SUVAT equations can be used, specifically the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as. Using this equation, the average deceleration can be calculated to be -81.67ms^-2, and the force of impact can be found by multiplying the mass of the car by the average deceleration, resulting in 24498 N.
Rickcd
I am struggling to calculate the required resistance of a single seater race cars nosecone in the event of a head on collision to the nosecone.

The data I have been given is:

Mass of car: 300kg
Velocity at impact: 7ms^-1
Impacting to a non-yielding barrier
Length of nosecone 0.3m
Peak deceleration no more than 40g (392.4 ms^-2)
Average deceleration no more than 20g (196.2 ms^-2)

If anyone could provide me with the equations required to find these figures i would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks

Rick

Physics news on Phys.org
as I believe, using the SUVAT equations

s=0.3m
v=0.0ms^-1
u=7.0ms^-1
a is unknown
t is unknown
p=2100 kgms^-1

using v^2=u^2+2as

I can obtain

0=49+0.6a

giving

a=-81.67ms^-2

then

F=ma

F=300*81.67

so

F=24498 N

But I'm stuck from this point

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Resistance of Race Car Nosecone for Head-On Collision

1. How do you calculate the resistance of a race car nosecone for a head-on collision?

To calculate the resistance of a race car nosecone for a head-on collision, you will need to know the weight of the car, the speed at which it is traveling, and the coefficient of drag of the nosecone. You can use the formula R = 1/2 * ρ * v^2 * CD * A, where R is the resistance force, ρ is the air density, v is the velocity, CD is the coefficient of drag, and A is the frontal area of the nosecone.

2. What is the role of air density in calculating resistance for a race car nosecone?

Air density is an important factor in calculating resistance for a race car nosecone because it determines how much air is present in a given area. The more air present, the higher the resistance force. Air density is affected by factors such as altitude and temperature, so it is important to consider these variables when calculating resistance.

3. How does the velocity of the race car affect the resistance force?

The velocity of the race car has a significant impact on the resistance force. As the speed of the car increases, so does the resistance force. This is because the faster the car is moving, the more air it is pushing against. This is why cars experience more resistance at higher speeds.

4. What is the coefficient of drag and how does it relate to race car nosecone resistance?

The coefficient of drag is a measure of the aerodynamic efficiency of an object. It is a dimensionless number that represents the amount of air resistance an object experiences. A higher coefficient of drag means that the object is less aerodynamic and will experience more resistance. For race car nosecones, a lower coefficient of drag is desirable in order to reduce the resistance force.

5. Can you change the shape of the race car nosecone to reduce resistance?

Yes, the shape of the race car nosecone can greatly affect the resistance force. By making the nosecone more streamlined and reducing its frontal area, you can decrease the resistance force. This is why race car engineers often spend a lot of time and resources designing and testing different nosecone shapes to find the most efficient one.

Back