Calculating Resistance of Aluminum & Copper Pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the resistance of a cylindrical aluminum pipe filled with copper. The pipe is 1.36 m long with an inner radius of 1.80 10-3 m and an outer radius of 3.00 10-3 m. The resistance is calculated using the formula R = pL/A, where p is the resistivity, L is the length, and A is the cross sectional area. The resistivity values for copper and aluminum are provided, and it is determined that the aluminum and copper parts of the pipe are in parallel. The equation for the cross sectional area of the aluminum pipe is also clarified.
gamesandmore
A cylindrical aluminum pipe of length 1.36 m has an inner radius of 1.80 10-3 m and an outer radius of 3.00 10-3 m. The interior of the pipe is completely filled with copper. What is the resistance of this unit? (Hint: Imagine that the pipe is connected between the terminals of a battery and decide whether the aluminum and copper parts of the pipe are in series or in parallel.)

Here is what I did:
L = 1.36 m
ri = 1.80e-3m
ro = 3.00e-3 m
R = ? ohms
R = pL/A
pcopper = 1.72e-8 ohm*m
palum = 2.82e-8 ohm*m

In = copper
Out = aluminum

Ai = pi*ri^2 = 1.01788e-5 m^2
Ao= pi*ro^2 = 2.827e-5 m^2

Ri = pcopper * L/Ai = .002298 ohms
Ro = palum * L/Ao = .0013566 ohms

Then I did
1 / ( (1/.002298ohms) + (1/.0013566 ohms) )
and got 8.53e-4 Ohms, but it was wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
gamesandmore said:
A cylindrical aluminum pipe of length 1.36 m has an inner radius of 1.80 10-3 m and an outer radius of 3.00 10-3 m. The interior of the pipe is completely filled with copper. What is the resistance of this unit? (Hint: Imagine that the pipe is connected between the terminals of a battery and decide whether the aluminum and copper parts of the pipe are in series or in parallel.)

Here is what I did:
L = 1.36 m
ri = 1.80e-3m
ro = 3.00e-3 m
R = ? ohms
R = pL/A
pcopper = 1.72e-8 ohm*m
palum = 2.82e-8 ohm*m

In = copper
Out = aluminum

Ai = pi*ri^2 = 1.01788e-5 m^2
Ao= pi*ro^2 = 2.827e-5 m^2

Ri = pcopper * L/Ai = .002298 ohms
Ro = palum * L/Ao = .0013566 ohms

Then I did
1 / ( (1/.002298ohms) + (1/.0013566 ohms) )
and got 8.53e-4 Ohms, but it was wrong...

The cross sectional area for the aluminum cylinder is not ][itex] \pi r_0 ^2 [/itex], you must use only the area of the outside cyliner which wil be [itex] \pi(r_0^2 - r_i^2) [/itex]

So Ao = pi*(ro^2 - ri^2) ?

gamesandmore said:
So Ao = pi*(ro^2 - ri^2) ?

Yes, that's what I wrote.

Thanks, worked perfect :)

gamesandmore said:
Thanks, worked perfect :)

Great. Am glad I could help. I hope you see why this is the correct equation to use for the cross sectional area of the aluminum pipe.

good luck

Related to Calculating Resistance of Aluminum & Copper Pipe

1. What is the formula for calculating the resistance of aluminum and copper pipes?

The formula for calculating the resistance of a conductor, including aluminum and copper pipes, is R = (ρ * L)/A, where R is the resistance in ohms, ρ is the resistivity of the material in ohm-meters, L is the length of the conductor in meters, and A is the cross-sectional area of the conductor in square meters.

2. What is the resistivity of aluminum and copper?

The resistivity of aluminum is approximately 2.65 x 10^-8 ohm-meters, while the resistivity of copper is approximately 1.68 x 10^-8 ohm-meters. This means that copper has a lower resistance than aluminum for the same length and cross-sectional area.

3. How does the length and diameter of the pipe affect its resistance?

As per Ohm's law, the resistance of a conductor is directly proportional to its length and inversely proportional to its cross-sectional area. This means that as the length of the pipe increases, its resistance also increases, while the resistance decreases as the diameter or cross-sectional area increases.

4. How does temperature affect the resistance of aluminum and copper pipes?

Temperature has a significant impact on the resistance of aluminum and copper pipes. As the temperature increases, the resistance of these materials also increases. This is because the increased temperature causes the molecules in the material to vibrate more, leading to more collisions and hindering the flow of electrons, thus increasing resistance.

5. How can I measure the resistance of aluminum and copper pipes?

The resistance of a conductor can be measured using an ohmmeter. Make sure to disconnect the pipe from any power source and clean its surface before measuring. Place the ohmmeter probes on either end of the pipe and note down the resistance reading. This value can then be used in the formula to calculate the resistance of the pipe.