Calculating Residues Using Laurent Series

In summary, the problem involves evaluating the integral $\int_{\gamma(0;1)}\frac{1}{\exp(iz)-1}\mathrm{d}z$ using the residue theorem. The contour is closed and there is only one simple pole at $z=0$. By finding the residue at this pole, we can evaluate the integral as $2\pi$. The formula for finding the residue at a simple pole is given, and it is also mentioned that if the function $g$ has a zero at $z_0$, then the residue is 0.
shen07
Hi guys,

well i have the problem below,

$$\int_{\gamma(0;1)}\frac{1}{\exp(iz)-1}\mathrm{d}z$$

so it is holormorphic in D'(0,1) as it has a point not holomorphic at z=0.

Taking a Laurent Series in the form $$f(z)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}C_n(z-0)^n$$

But i wil get $$\frac{1}{\exp(iz)-1}=\frac{1}{iz+(iz)^2+(iz)^3+\cdots}$$
If i get the coefficient of $$C_-1$$, then i am done. I will have to do a long Division involving $$i$$, Is there any simpler way to do that?? Or please help me the way i am proceeding.

Physics news on Phys.org
shen07 said:
Hi guys,

well i have the problem below,

$$\int_{\gamma(0;1)}\frac{1}{\exp(iz)-1}\mathrm{d}z$$

so it is holormorphic in D'(0,1) as it has a point not holomorphic at z=0.

Taking a Laurent Series in the form $$f(z)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}C_n(z-0)^n$$

But i wil get $$\frac{1}{\exp(iz)-1}=\frac{1}{iz+(iz)^2+(iz)^3+\cdots}$$
If i get the coefficient of $$C_-1$$, then i am done. I will have to do a long Division involving $$i$$, Is there any simpler way to do that?? Or please help me the way i am proceeding.

Since the contour is closed and there is only one simple pole, $\displaystyle \begin{align*} z = 0 + 0i \end{align*}$, we can evaluate this using the residue theorem.

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_{\gamma (0, 1)} { \frac{1}{e^{i\,z} - 1}\,dz } &= 2\pi\,i\,\textrm{Res}_{z = 0} \left( \frac{1}{e^{i\,z} - 1} \right) \\ &= 2\pi \, i \lim_{z \to 0} \left[ \left( z - 0 \right) \left( \frac{1}{ e^{i\,z} - 1 } \right) \right] \\ &= 2\pi\,i \lim_{z \to 0} \frac{z}{e^{i\,z} - 1} \\ &= 2\pi \, i \lim_{z \to 0} \frac{1}{ i\,e^{i\,z} } \textrm{ by L'Hospital's Rule} \\ &= 2\pi\,i \left( \frac{1}{i} \right) \\ &= 2\pi \end{align*}$

Assume the following

\(\displaystyle f(z)=\frac{g(z)}{h(z)}\)

where $h(z)$ has a simple zero at $z_0$ and $g$ is analytic at $z_0$ and $g(z_0)\neq 0 $ then

\(\displaystyle Res(f;z_0) = \lim_{z\to z_0}(z-z_0)\frac{g(z)}{h(z)}=\lim_{z \to z_0}\frac{g(z)}{\frac{h(z)-h(z_0)}{z-z_0}}\)

Now since $h$ is analytic on $z_0$ and $h'(z_0)\neq 0$ because the zero is simple we have

\(\displaystyle Res(f;z_0) =\frac{\lim_{z \to z_0}g(z)}{\lim_{z \to z_0}\frac{h(z)-h(z_0)}{z-z_0}}=\frac{g(z_0)}{h'(z_0)}\)

If on the other hand $g$ has a zero at $z_0$ then the $f$ has a removable singularity at $z_0$. So $Res(f;z_0)=0$.

Related to Calculating Residues Using Laurent Series

1. What is a Laurent Series?

A Laurent Series is a mathematical representation of a complex function using a sum of infinitely many terms. It is used to describe functions that have singularities, or points where the function is not defined, in their domain. Laurent series are commonly used in complex analysis to study the behavior of functions near these singularities.

2. What is the purpose of using a Laurent Series for integration?

The purpose of using a Laurent Series for integration is to simplify the integration process for functions with singularities. By expressing the function as a Laurent Series, the integral can be broken down into smaller, simpler integrals that can be easily evaluated. It also allows for the evaluation of integrals over paths that encircle the singularities, which would not be possible using traditional integration methods.

3. How do you find the Laurent Series of a function?

To find the Laurent Series of a function, you can use the Taylor Series expansion for the function centered at a point in its domain. This will give you the coefficients for the positive powers of the variable. To get the coefficients for the negative powers, you can use the Residue Theorem, which states that the coefficient of the term with (z-a)^-1 in the Laurent Series is equal to the residue of the function at the point a.

4. Can a Laurent Series be used to integrate any function?

No, not all functions can be integrated using a Laurent Series. The function must have a singularity in its domain in order for a Laurent Series to be applicable. Additionally, the singularity must be an isolated singularity, meaning that it is the only point where the function is not defined in a small neighborhood. If these conditions are not met, then a Laurent Series cannot be used for integration.

5. What are some applications of using a Laurent Series for integration?

There are many applications of using a Laurent Series for integration, particularly in the field of complex analysis. It can be used to evaluate integrals over paths that encircle singularities, which is useful in calculating certain types of line integrals. It is also used in the study of differential equations, where it can be used to find solutions to equations with singularities. Additionally, Laurent series are used in the field of physics, particularly in studying the behavior of waves and oscillations.