Calculating Repulsive Force between Two Charges at Different Distances

In summary: Your final answer is correct, but your intermediate values would not be correct, if you used centimeters rather than meters.Furthermore, When you were calculating the charge, q, what you were finding was q2.If this was work I was grading, I would deduct points for these incorrect steps.To find q1, I would use the value of q2 if I tried to find all the values?
domyy

Homework Statement

two equal charges repel one another with a f = 4.0x 10^-4N when they are 10cm apart. If they are moved until the separation is 5.0 cm, the repulsive force is...

Homework Equations

f= kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I already calculated and I just would like someone to tell me if 16x10^-4 seems correct.
I calculated q to then find force at 5.0cm. Is that right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Anyone?
I just would like to know if my answer is correct.

if it´s not correct just say no. that´s all I want. I want to know if my answer is correct. that´s all :))) PLease?!

Last edited:
domyy said:
if it´s not correct just say no. that´s all I want. I want to know if my answer is correct. that´s all :))) PLease?!

hello domyy!
This is not the way one asks help at physicsforums. We are not here to solve your problem and check whether the answer is correct or not. We can help through the problem. Answer would definitely come out correct if your approach is right. You show us your attempt then only we can help. We are not going to solve and check the answer.

I calculated for q using the force given when they were 10cm apart and got 44.4 x 10^-13. With the value, I used it to calculate the repulsive force when they were 5.0cm apart.

Would that be correct? would that be the correct approach?
q = fr^2/k = 4.0x10^-4 x 1.0 x 10^-2m/9x10^9Nm^2/c^2 = 0.44 x 10^-15.
f = (9x10^9)(0.44 x 10^-15)/0.0025m = 1584 x 10^-6

Ok, i just changed my answer significantly. i think i am supposed to use m instead of cm, so i just converted. =/
Now, that´s my final answer. What do you think?

Last edited:

domyy said:
Would that be correct? would that be the correct approach?
q = fr^2/k = 4.0x10^-4 x 1.0 x 10^-2m/9x10^9Nm^2/c^2 = 0.44 x 10^-15.
f = (9x10^9)(0.44 x 10^-15)/0.0025m = 1584 x 10^-6

Ok, i just changed my answer significantly. i think i am supposed to use m instead of cm, so i just converted. =/
Now, that´s my final answer. What do you think?
I don't know; now i am confused.
That's a lot more work than is necessary.

Simply use the fact that the electric force follows an inverse square law.

The force exerted upon one charge by another charge is inversely proportional to the square of the distance of separation.

ok, the square of the distance of separation = 0.0025m. Is that what you mean?
So my answer makes no sense?

domyy said:
ok, the square of the distance of separation = 0.0025m. Is that what you mean?
So my answer makes no sense?

My point is that the force becomes 4 times as great as it was initially, because the separation distance is halved.

Hello, thank you for the help.
Do I have to convert cm to m when calculating the distance or not?

If the force becomes 4 times a greater, that means 16x10^-4 would be correct.
You haven't yet said whether my answer is right or wrong. That´s all asked. That´s all i needed to know.
For the answer above, i didnt convert cm to m for distance. Do i need to convert? because that would serve the answers for some other problems about the same topic.

domyy said:
Hello, thank you for the help.
Do I have to convert cm to m when calculating the distance or not?
Yes, of course ... unless you use a value for k that is in units of N∙cm2/C2 .
domyy said:
If the force becomes 4 times a greater, that means 16x10^-4 would be correct.
You haven't yet said whether my answer is right or wrong. That´s all asked. That´s all i needed to know.
For the answer above, i didn't convert cm to m for distance. Do i need to convert? because that would serve the answers for some other problems about the same topic.
Your final answer is correct, but your intermediate values would not be correct, if you used centimeters rather than meters.

Furthermore, When you were calculating the charge, q, what you were finding was q2.

If this was work I was grading, I would deduct points for these incorrect steps.

To find q1, I would use the value of q2 if I tried to find all the values?

Also, I am confused because if my final answer is correct which would be 1584 x 10^-6, and I didn´t calculate q1, then, how would it be correct?

In case I don´t have both q´s, I thought I could have: q1q2 = q. Someone solved this problem by using this concept.

Is it correct?

Last edited:

I am still confused about how I should leave my answer. This all I need to finish this chapter and start the homework from another. I still have a long way to go. Please, can I leave 1584 x 10^-6 as my answer?

Related to Calculating Repulsive Force between Two Charges at Different Distances

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest. It involves the study of how electric charges interact with each other and with electric fields.

2. What are some common applications of electrostatics?

Electrostatics has a wide range of applications, such as in the functioning of electronic devices like computers and smartphones, in air purification systems, in printing and photocopying machines, and in electrostatic precipitators used to remove pollutants from industrial emissions.

3. What is the difference between a conductor and an insulator?

A conductor is a material that allows electric charges to flow through it easily, while an insulator is a material that does not allow charges to flow through it easily. Conductors have a high number of free electrons, while insulators have a low number of free electrons.

4. Can you explain the concept of electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a particular point in an electric field. It is expressed in volts (V) and is a scalar quantity. The electric potential at a point is directly proportional to the amount of work required to move a unit positive charge from infinity to that point in the electric field.

5. How do you calculate the net electric field at a point?

The net electric field at a point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields at that point due to different charges. To calculate it, we use Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field at a point is directly proportional to the magnitude of the source charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the point and the source charge.