Calculating reaction forces on 3d object

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating reaction forces on an object and the attached free body diagram shows two different views of the object. There are 7 variables to solve for, including horizontal and vertical force components for two parts and force components for the rear part. There are a total of 4 parts that need reactions, with the first two parts reacting in two directions and the last two parts reacting in one diagonal direction. The dimensions and a gravity force acting on the object in the x direction are also given. The equations needed for the problem are listed in the picture, but the approach is not yielding a viable solution. The speaker asks for feedback on their approach and thanks in advance for any help. Additionally, when dealing with 3D objects
iqjump123
Hello all,

I am in the process of calculating reaction forces on an object, and need some help.

Attached is a free body diagram of an object in two different views- one looking from the sides (z-x plane) and one looking it in birds eye view. (xy plane)

7 variables I am looking to solve are:
horizontal and vertical force components of two parts, and force component of rear part. (r1,v1, r2, v2, f1, f2, f) The first two parts can react only in two directions, and the last two parts can only react in one diagonal direction (45 deg), totalling to 4 parts that I need reactions for.

given are all of the dimensions and F_cg, a gravity force acting on the object in the x direction.

I have listed out what I think are the equations needed in the picture.
I am not getting a viable solution though.

Feel free to let me know the issues with my approach.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• passembly.png
    passembly.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 927
Engineering news on Phys.org
When dealing with 3D objects, you want to represent applied forces in terms of radial and tangential components wrt the center of mass of the object.
To get reaction forces, in context, you need to see the rest of the situation ... i.e. the other bodies involved.

Related to Calculating reaction forces on 3d object

1. What is the formula for calculating reaction forces on a 3D object?

The formula for calculating reaction forces on a 3D object is Newton's third law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the reaction forces on an object are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the forces acting on the object.

2. How do you determine the direction of the reaction forces on a 3D object?

The direction of the reaction forces on a 3D object can be determined by considering the direction of the applied forces on the object. The reaction forces will always act in the opposite direction of the applied forces, following Newton's third law.

3. Can you calculate reaction forces on a 3D object without knowing the exact forces acting on it?

No, it is not possible to accurately calculate reaction forces on a 3D object without knowing the exact forces acting on it. This is because the reaction forces are directly related to the applied forces, and without this information, the calculation would be incomplete.

4. How do you take into account the shape and orientation of a 3D object when calculating reaction forces?

The shape and orientation of a 3D object can affect the distribution of forces and therefore impact the calculation of reaction forces. To take this into account, you would need to consider the specific geometry of the object and how it may alter the magnitude and direction of the applied forces.

5. Are there any software programs or tools that can assist with calculating reaction forces on 3D objects?

Yes, there are various software programs and tools available that can assist with calculating reaction forces on 3D objects. These programs use mathematical models and simulations to accurately calculate the forces acting on an object and determine the corresponding reaction forces.