Calculating rate constant from a set of data?

In summary, using the given data, the pseudo-n-order rate constants and the value of n can be determined. The activation energy at each pH can also be calculated using the formula ln(k2/k1) = Ea(1/T2 - 1/T1). To find the value of k at each temperature, the slopes of the plots of k[H30]m versus [H30] can be used, which should all give the same value for n. This information can then be used to determine the pre-exponential factor and the activation energy for the overall reaction, both of which are independent of temperature and concentration.
SeaNanners

Homework Statement

For a reaction, A + H2O --> B + C

We're given that d[A]/dt = k[A]n[H3O+]m

And also a table of [A] vs time at T1 and pH 1, pH 2; as well as [A] vs time at T2 and the same pH 1 and 2. From this data, we're to find pseudo-n-order rate constants, and then n itself. Next, the activation energy at each pH, and then the value of k at each temperature. Finally, we need the activation energy for the overall reaction.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really familiar with this kind of problem, unfortunately. I started by plotting ln[A] vs. time, and got a straight line, from which I concluded that it was 1st order relative to [A]. I found the slopes of each of these 4 lines (T1, pH 1; T1, pH 2; etc), and I determined that the negative of each of these was the pseudo-n-order constants.

That was the first two parts. I was also able to find the activation energy for each pH, by using the formula ln(k2/k1) = Ea(1/T2 - 1/T1). I used the two pseudo equation k values at each temperature to calculate these, and got 2 activation energy values, which were about 1000 J off from each other.

Here's where I'm stuck. I can't think of any way to go about calculating k for each temperature. I thought about using k = Ae-Ea/RT, but I don't know A, for one, and the activation energies I just calculated are separate for each pH, not temperature, so that doesn't help me much either.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
SeaNanners said:

Homework Statement

For a reaction, A + H2O --> B + C

We're given that d[A]/dt = k[A]n[H3O+]m

And also a table of [A] vs time at T1 and pH 1, pH 2; as well as [A] vs time at T2 and the same pH 1 and 2. From this data, we're to find pseudo-n-order rate constants, and then n itself. Next, the activation energy at each pH, and then the value of k at each temperature. Finally, we need the activation energy for the overall reaction.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really familiar with this kind of problem, unfortunately. I started by plotting ln[A] vs. time, and got a straight line, from which I concluded that it was 1st order relative to [A]. I found the slopes of each of these 4 lines (T1, pH 1; T1, pH 2; etc), and I determined that the negative of each of these was the pseudo-n-order constants.

That was the first two parts. I was also able to find the activation energy for each pH, by using the formula ln(k2/k1) = Ea(1/T2 - 1/T1). I used the two pseudo equation k values at each temperature to calculate these, and got 2 activation energy values, which were about 1000 J off from each other.

Here's where I'm stuck. I can't think of any way to go about calculating k for each temperature. I thought about using k = Ae-Ea/RT, but I don't know A, for one, and the activation energies I just calculated are separate for each pH, not temperature, so that doesn't help me much either.

Thanks for any help.
Once you had that n = 1 from the plots of ln(A) vs time, you could have determined the slopes of these four plots. These would have been k[H30]m. From the pH's you could have calculated the [H30]'s. If, at each temperature, you plotted on a log-log plot the values of k[H30]m versus [H30], the slopes of these two plots (at T1 and T2) should have been m, and you should have gotten the same values for m. You could then go back and determine k at each temperature by dividing of k[H30]m by [H30]m. This would give you what you need to determine the pre-exponential factor and the activation energy, both of which should be independent of temperature and concentration.

Related to Calculating rate constant from a set of data?

What is a rate constant?

A rate constant is a proportionality constant that relates the rate of a chemical reaction to the concentrations of the reactants. It is denoted by the symbol k and is specific to a particular reaction at a given temperature.

How do you calculate the rate constant from a set of data?

The rate constant can be calculated by using the concentration of reactants and their corresponding reaction rates. The rate constant can be determined by dividing the reaction rate by the concentration of the reactants.

What units is the rate constant typically measured in?

The rate constant is typically measured in units of inverse time, such as seconds-1 or minutes-1, depending on the time units used in the reaction rate data.

Can the rate constant change?

Yes, the rate constant can change depending on the temperature, pressure, and presence of catalysts. It is also affected by the nature of the reactants and the reaction mechanism.

What are some limitations of calculating the rate constant from a set of data?

Some limitations include experimental errors, changes in reaction conditions, and the assumption of a simple reaction mechanism. Additionally, the rate constant may vary at different stages of the reaction and may not accurately represent the overall reaction rate.