Calculating range with controlled air gun

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the range of a projectile fired from a controlled air gun. The person has a meter that measures pressure in psi and a volume of 2.48 in^3. They are looking for a way to convert psi into energy in order to find the initial velocity and ultimately solve for the range. The solution involves relating pressure to force and solving for work, then using the initial kinetic energy to find the velocity and range.
Benigna

Homework Statement

Ultimately, I need to calculate the range of projectile fired from my controlled air gun. My meter gives me pressure in psi which i keep at constant 40 psi, allows me measure (theta) 45 degrees, volume 2.48 in^3

Homework Equations

R=(v^2/g)*sin(2(theta)); x(t)=v cos(theta)t and factored equations that follow

The Attempt at a Solution

Well as you know, most equations solving for range require initial velocity among other things. I can solve for initial velocity easily enough, given mass, time, distance, final velocity, kinetic energy, or any mixture of those. My problem is my meter measures psi. Is there a way to convert psi into energy, use it to solve for initial velocity, or some method that will lead to my range? Please assist if you're online, I have class soon.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Benigna! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

I'm not sure exactly how a controlled air gun works, but https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=80" imparted to the projectile,

so if the pressure P stays the same the full length L of the barrel (does it?), then the initial KE would be PL/A. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah i see. You are correct, I did not think to relate my pressure to force and solve for work. Once initial kinetic energy is found in (joules?), i use v1 = sqrt ((2 * e) / m); where e is energy in joules. Then solve for range. Does this seem right?

Yup! :biggrin:

Hi there,

I would suggest the following approach to calculate the range of your projectile fired from the controlled air gun:

1. Convert the pressure measurement from psi to its equivalent in Pascals, which is the SI unit for pressure. This can be done by using the conversion factor: 1 psi = 6894.76 Pa.

2. Use the ideal gas law to calculate the volume of gas released from the air gun. The ideal gas law states that PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. Since you have a constant pressure of 40 psi and a known volume of 2.48 in^3, you can calculate the number of moles of gas released.

3. Use the kinetic energy equation, KE = 1/2 mv^2, to calculate the initial velocity of the projectile. You will need to know the mass of the projectile, which can be measured or estimated, and the calculated number of moles of gas.

4. Use the equations you provided (R = (v^2/g)*sin(2(theta)) and x(t) = v cos(theta)t) to calculate the range of the projectile. Keep in mind that the initial velocity calculated in step 3 may not be the same as the actual initial velocity due to factors such as friction and air resistance.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

Related to Calculating range with controlled air gun

1. What is the formula for calculating range with a controlled air gun?

The formula for calculating range with a controlled air gun is: Range = (Velocity2 x Sin(2 x Angle)) / Gravity, where Velocity is the speed of the projectile, Angle is the angle of elevation, and Gravity is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

2. How do I determine the velocity of the projectile?

The velocity of the projectile can be determined by using a chronograph, which measures the speed of the projectile as it exits the air gun. Alternatively, you can also use a ballistic calculator or conduct a test firing and measure the distance traveled by the projectile.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of controlled air gun?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of controlled air gun as long as the velocity and angle of elevation are known. However, the accuracy of the range calculation may vary depending on the specific air gun and its capabilities.

4. How accurate is the range calculation using this formula?

The accuracy of the range calculation using this formula depends on several factors such as the precision of the velocity measurement, the accuracy of the angle measurement, and the environmental conditions. However, with proper measurement and consideration of these factors, the range calculation can be quite accurate.

5. Is there a simpler way to calculate range with a controlled air gun?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating range with a controlled air gun, such as using a ballistic calculator or conducting actual test firings and measuring the distance traveled by the projectile. However, the formula mentioned above is a commonly used and accurate method for calculating range with a controlled air gun.