Calculating Radius of electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the radius of an electric field, specifically in the context of a cathode and anode. The speaker suggests that this may require experimental derivation due to the numerous variables involved. They also mention that physicists have more knowledge about this topic. The conversation concludes by mentioning that the electric field theoretically never vanishes completely, but it may be considered negligible at a certain distance.
Blackhawk4560
Question: Is there a way to calculate the radius of an electric field? By that I mean, say we have a cathode on one side, how far away can the anode be? Is there a way to calculate this? I'd imagine it would need to be experimentally derived due to the number of variables (shape of object, vacuum state, voltage, amperage, etc) but physicists know a *bit* more about this than I do!

Thanks again for all the assistance, and I hope I put this in the correct topic-

Physics news on Phys.org
The electric field in theory never vanishes no matter how far you are from it, so it depends on how weak it would have to be for you cut it off and just think of it as zero.

Related to Calculating Radius of electric field

1. How do I calculate the radius of an electric field?

The radius of an electric field can be calculated using the equation r = kQ/E, where k is the Coulomb constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge of the source, and E is the electric field strength. Simply plug in the values and solve for r.

2. Can the radius of an electric field be negative?

No, the radius of an electric field cannot be negative. It is a distance measurement, so it will always be a positive value.

3. How does distance affect the radius of an electric field?

The radius of an electric field is directly proportional to the distance from the source. As the distance increases, the radius also increases. This means that the electric field strength decreases as you move further away from the source.

4. What units are used to measure the radius of an electric field?

The radius of an electric field is typically measured in meters (m), as it is a distance measurement. However, in some cases, it may also be measured in centimeters (cm) or kilometers (km).

5. Can the radius of an electric field be calculated for a point charge?

Yes, the radius of an electric field can be calculated for a point charge using the same equation mentioned in the first question. However, for a point charge, the radius will be infinitely large, as the electric field extends to infinity.