Calculating ρ(Y,Z) for Independent Variables X1..Xn+Xn+1

In summary, the random variables X1,X2... are independent and they take 0 and 1 values and they have expected value 0. If we have Y=X1+X2+...+Xn and Z=X1+X2+...+Xn+Xn+1, then the ρ(Y,Z) is equal to the covariance of Y and Z.
ParisSpart
the random variables X1,X2... are independent and they take 0 and 1 values and they have expected value 0
if we have Y=X1+X2+...+Xn and Z=X1+X2+...+Xn+Xn+1 what is the ρ(Y,Z) for n=46

i know that ρ(Y,Z)=cov(Y,Z)/(sqrt(var(Y)*sqrt(var(Z)) but i need some help on how to find the cov and vars cov(Y,Z)=E(YZ)-E(Y)E(Z)

Physics news on Phys.org
ParisSpart said:
the random variables X1,X2... are independent and they take 0 and 1 values and they have expected value 0
if we have Y=X1+X2+...+Xn and Z=X1+X2+...+Xn+Xn+1 what is the ρ(Y,Z) for n=46

i know that ρ(Y,Z)=cov(Y,Z)/(sqrt(var(Y)*sqrt(var(Z)) but i need some help on how to find the cov and vars cov(Y,Z)=E(YZ)-E(Y)E(Z)

If a random variable takes values 0 and 1 and has expected value = 0, it is zero identically----that is, it is not "random" at all! There must be an error in your problem statement.

sorry my mistake they take 1 and -1 values and they have expected value 0

Hi ParisSpart! :smile:

Since there are 2 possibilities for any ##X_i## with apparent probabilities fifty-fifty... what is ##\sigma^2(X_i)##?

Do you know how variances combine for independent variables?
If so, what is ##\sigma^2(Y)##?

Following up, do you know how to find ##\sigma^2(Z)##?

When we have all that we'll tackle ##EYZ##...

how i wil find them...? please help because i have to do it into 3 hours.,..

ParisSpart said:
how i wil find them...? please help because i have to do it into 3 hours.,..

You are supposed to do you OWN work, not get somebody else to do it for you. If you cannot do the question, just accept the reduced course marks!

Last edited:

Related to Calculating ρ(Y,Z) for Independent Variables X1..Xn+Xn+1

What is ρ(Y,Z)?

ρ(Y,Z) is the correlation coefficient between two variables, Y and Z. It measures the strength and direction of the linear relationship between the two variables.

Why is it important to calculate ρ(Y,Z)?

Calculating ρ(Y,Z) allows us to understand the relationship between two variables. It can help us identify patterns and make predictions based on the data.

What are independent variables?

Independent variables are variables that are not affected by other variables in an experiment. They are manipulated by the researcher and are used to predict or explain changes in the dependent variable.

How do you calculate ρ(Y,Z) for independent variables X1..Xn+Xn+1?

To calculate ρ(Y,Z) for independent variables X1..Xn+Xn+1, you would first need to calculate the correlation coefficient for each pair of variables and then take the average of all the coefficients. This can be done using statistical software or by hand using the formula for correlation coefficient.

What does a positive/negative ρ(Y,Z) value indicate?

A positive ρ(Y,Z) value indicates a positive correlation, meaning that as one variable increases, the other variable also increases. A negative ρ(Y,Z) value indicates a negative correlation, meaning that as one variable increases, the other variable decreases.