Calculating Pulley Ratios for Scissors Lift

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with sizing pulleys to turn at different speeds. The pulleys are connected via a belt and arranged in a triangle. The driver pulley is Ø31mm and the pulley on the bottom right is also Ø31mm. The issue is with the pulley on the left, which needs to turn at half the speed of the right-hand pulley. A ratio of 1:1.5 (31:46) was initially thought to be appropriate, but the actual difference in rotations was not 1:1.5. The solution proposed is for the left-hand pulley to have a diameter of 62 mm, causing it to rotate at half the speed of the right-hand pulley
R4de0n

Homework Statement

Hi, I am having a problem with calculating the proper sizes for a pulley.The pulleys are turning threaded bars and I want them to turn at different speeds. They are connected via a Belt. There are three pulleys arranged in a triangle. One is the driver pulley(Ø31mm) which I don't have a problem with... the one on the bottom right(Ø31mm) is the same size as the driver pulley, my problem is that I want to size the pulley on the left(Ø46mm) to turn about half as much as the the other driven pulley.
Originally I thought that a ratio of roughly 1:1.5 (31:46) would be ok, but I made the pulley and the difference in rotations did not appear to be 1:1.5.

I was hoping someone would be able to point out if I am missing something glaring. Any insight into how to calculate the proper size so that my threaded bars will turn at the above ratio would be much appreciated

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
R4de0n: The left-hand pulley would need to have a diameter of 62 mm, if the diameter of the right-hand pulley is 31 mm. This would cause the left-hand pulley to rotate at one half the speed of the right-hand pulley.

Thanks very much nvn.

Related to Calculating Pulley Ratios for Scissors Lift

What is a scissors lift?

A scissors lift is a type of lifting mechanism that uses a criss-crossing structure of linked arms to raise and lower a platform or object. It is commonly used in construction, manufacturing, and other industries to lift heavy loads to different heights.

How do you calculate the pulley ratio for a scissors lift?

To calculate the pulley ratio for a scissors lift, you need to divide the distance the platform will travel by the distance the input force will travel. This will give you the mechanical advantage of the pulley system, which is equal to the pulley ratio. The higher the pulley ratio, the more weight the lift can handle.

What factors affect the pulley ratio for a scissors lift?

The pulley ratio for a scissors lift is affected by several factors, such as the number of pulleys in the system, the size and weight of the platform, and the strength and positioning of the cables or chains. The type of pulley used (fixed or movable) and the angle of the cables also play a role in determining the pulley ratio.

Why is it important to calculate the pulley ratio for a scissors lift?

Calculating the pulley ratio for a scissors lift is important because it helps determine the amount of force needed to lift a particular weight. This information is crucial for ensuring the lift is designed and operated safely and efficiently. It also helps determine the appropriate motor or power source needed for the lift.

Can the pulley ratio be adjusted for a scissors lift?

Yes, the pulley ratio for a scissors lift can be adjusted by changing the number or size of pulleys, adjusting the position of the cables, or using different types of pulleys. However, it is important to note that altering the pulley ratio can affect the lifting capacity and stability of the lift, so it should only be done under the guidance of a professional.