Calculating Probability of Particle in a Box

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the probability to find a particle in a specific region when it is in the ground state (n=1) or the first excited state (n=2) in a box of width L. The formula used is (2/L)sin²(nπx/L) for even n and (2/L)cos²(nπx/L) for odd n. However, there was an error in the integration process that was eventually corrected.
Kruum

Homework Statement

A particle is in a box of width L. Calculate the probability to find the particle in the region [L/4, 3L/4] when the particle is a) in the ground state b) in the first excited state.

Homework Equations

(2/L)sin(n*π*x/L)^2 dx is the probability in [x, x+dx]

The Attempt at a Solution

Integrating that gives me 2/L[x/2-[L/(4π)]sin(2n*π*x/L)], boundaries being L/4 and 3L/4. For a) n=1 and b) n=2, right? After I plug in the values, I get value greater than 1. Where have I gone wrong?

Hopefully this is readable, no LaTeX. :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
The probability density is (2/L)sin²(nπx/L) for even n and (2/L)cos²(nπx/L) for odd n.

EDIT: Sorry, this is only if you take the boundaries of the box to be -L/2 and L/2.

Last edited:
No, it's the same formula for all n!
After integration i got 2/L[x/2-[L/(4π n)]sin(2n*π*x/L)]
For n = 1 -> (2+π)/(2π)
for n = 2 -> 1/2

Yes sorry, I took the boundaries to be -L/2 and L/2.

Thanks for the replies, guys! I forgot the one n in my first post. I found out my error was in the easy stuff after the integration, I'd done a mistake in adding fractions. :redface:

Related to Calculating Probability of Particle in a Box

1. What is the formula for calculating the probability of a particle in a box?

The formula for calculating the probability of a particle in a box is P(x) = (2/L)sin^2(nπx/L), where L is the length of the box, n is the number of the energy state, and x is the position of the particle.

2. How is the probability of a particle in a box related to its energy state?

The probability of a particle in a box is directly proportional to its energy state. This means that the higher the energy state, the higher the probability of finding the particle in that state.

3. What is the significance of the wavefunction in calculating the probability of a particle in a box?

The wavefunction represents the probability amplitude of the particle at a specific point in the box. It is used in the formula for calculating the probability of the particle's position.

4. Is the probability of a particle in a box constant throughout the box?

No, the probability of a particle in a box is not constant throughout the box. It varies depending on the position of the particle and the energy state it is in.

5. How does the size of the box affect the probability of the particle's position?

The size of the box directly affects the probability of the particle's position. A smaller box will have higher probabilities at the edges, while a larger box will have higher probabilities in the middle.