Calculating Probability of Energy Measurement in Quantum Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the probability of measuring a specific energy value for a quantum system in a given state. The attempt at a solution involves normalizing the states and using the Schrodinger equation, but the individual is unsure of how to proceed. They are advised to read about normalization of states in their basic textbook before continuing.
Axiom17

Homework Statement

Quantum system in state [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex]. Energy of state measured at time [itex]t[/itex]: Calculate probability that measurement will be [itex]E_{1}[/itex].

Homework Equations

[tex]|\psi\rangle=|1\rangle+i|2\rangle[/tex]

[itex]|1\rangle[/itex] is normalised stationary state with energy [itex]E_{1}[/itex]. Similarly with 2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the time-dep Schrodinger equation for [itex]\psi[/itex] as:

[tex]i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi \rangle = \hat{H}|\psi\rangle=E_{\psi}|\psi\rangle[/tex]

.. but that's it.

I really don't know where to start with this :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all: To calculate probabilities you always need to normalize the states. While |1> and |2> are normalized by assumptions, what about [tex]|\psi>[/tex]?

For normalisation of [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] I calculated:

[tex]| |\psi\rangle |^{2}=\left(|1\rangle+i|2\rangle\right)\left(|1\rangle-i|2\rangle\right)=|1\rangle^{2}+|2\rangle^{2}[/tex]

But what will be the normalized psi?

[tex]|\psi\rangle=E_{1}^{2}+E_{2}^{2}[/tex] ?

I've still not understood this :frown:

You wrote:
1)
[tex]
| |\psi\rangle |^{2}=\left(|1\rangle+i|2\rangle\right)\left(|1\rangle-i|2\rangle\right)=|1\rangle^{2}+|2\rangle^{2}
[/tex]But before that:

2) |1> is normalised stationary state with ... Similarly with 2.

What can you do with 1) knowing 2)?

that..

[tex]| |\psi\rangle |^{2}=E_{1}^{2}+E_{2}^{2}[/tex]

?

.. so

[tex]P(E_{1})=\frac{E_{1}^{2}}{E_{1}^{2}+E_{2}^{2}}[/tex]

? or something like that

So you did not read about normalization of states. And you should! That's bad!

Which is your basic textbook?

Related to Calculating Probability of Energy Measurement in Quantum Systems

1. What is quantum system probability?

Quantum system probability is a branch of quantum physics that deals with the likelihood of a quantum system being in a certain state or undergoing a particular change. It is based on the principles of probability theory and is used to predict the behavior of quantum particles.

2. How is quantum system probability different from classical probability?

Quantum system probability is different from classical probability in that it deals with the behavior of subatomic particles, which can exist in multiple states at once. Classical probability, on the other hand, deals with the behavior of macroscopic objects that can only exist in one state at a time.

3. What are the key principles of quantum system probability?

The key principles of quantum system probability include superposition, entanglement, and uncertainty. Superposition refers to the ability of quantum particles to exist in multiple states at once, while entanglement refers to the correlation between the states of two or more particles. Uncertainty refers to the fact that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle.

4. How is quantum system probability used in practical applications?

Quantum system probability has a wide range of practical applications, including quantum computing, cryptography, and quantum sensors. It is also used in experiments to study the behavior of quantum particles and in the development of new technologies such as quantum teleportation and quantum communication.

5. What are the challenges in studying and predicting quantum system probability?

One of the main challenges in studying and predicting quantum system probability is the inherent uncertainty and randomness of quantum particles. This makes it difficult to accurately predict their behavior and makes it necessary to use statistical methods to make predictions. Additionally, the complex mathematics involved in quantum system probability can also be challenging for scientists to understand.