Calculating Probabilities of Exchange Rate Fluctuations with Markov Processes

In summary, the probability of the exchange rate being below 1.4 over the next 9 days and over the next 25 days is 0.0025.
Poirot1
It is widely believed that the daily change in currency exchange rates is a random variable with mean 0 and variance v​
That is, if Yn represents the exchange rate on the nth day, Yn = Yn1 + Xn, n = 1, 2, . . . where X1,X2, . . . are independent and identically
distributed normal random variables with mean 0 and variance v. Suppose that today’s exchange rate is 1.55 and v = 0.0025, then what is the probability that the exchange rate will be below 1.4 in 9 days and in 25 days?

Am I meant to setup a diffferential equation, I'm not sure?

Physics news on Phys.org
Poirot said:
It is widely believed that the daily change in currency exchange rates is a random variable with mean 0 and variance v​
That is, if Yn represents the exchange rate on the nth day, Yn = Yn1 + Xn, n = 1, 2, . . . where X1,X2, . . . are independent and identically
distributed normal random variables with mean 0 and variance v. Suppose that today’s exchange rate is 1.55 and v= 0.0025, then what is the probability that the exchange rate will be below 1.4 in 9 days and in 25 days?

Am I meant to setup a diffferential equation, I'm not sure?

The change over \(n\) days is the sum of \(n\) iid RV's and so the mean change is \(n\) times the mean change, in this case \(0\) and the variance of the change is \(n\) times the single day variance, so in this case is \(n.v\)

CB

Thanks CaptainBlack, but I am looking for a probability. If we let Z denote the change in exchange rate over n days, so Z-normal(0,nv), do I compute probability by normal table?

Poirot said:
Thanks CaptainBlack, but I am looking for a probability. If we let Z denote the change in exchange rate over n days, so Z-normal(0,nv), do I compute probability by normal table?

The distribution is N(0,nv) and you use probability tables for the computations.

CB

I would approach this problem by using Markov processes to calculate the probabilities of exchange rate fluctuations. Markov processes are a mathematical tool used to model random processes, such as the daily changes in currency exchange rates. In this case, we can use the given information about the mean, variance, and starting exchange rate to calculate the probabilities of the exchange rate being below 1.4 in 9 days and 25 days.

To begin, we can set up a Markov chain with two states: above 1.4 and below 1.4. We can then use the given information about the exchange rate being a random variable with mean 0 and variance v to calculate the transition probabilities between the two states. For example, the probability of transitioning from above 1.4 to below 1.4 in one day can be calculated using the cumulative distribution function of a normal distribution with mean 0 and variance v.

Once we have these transition probabilities, we can use them to calculate the probability of the exchange rate being below 1.4 in 9 days and 25 days. This can be done by multiplying the transition probabilities over the desired time period. For example, to calculate the probability of the exchange rate being below 1.4 in 9 days, we would multiply the transition probabilities for 9 days. Similarly, to calculate the probability for 25 days, we would multiply the transition probabilities for 25 days.

Therefore, the probability of the exchange rate being below 1.4 in 9 days and 25 days can be calculated using Markov processes. This approach allows us to account for the randomness and volatility of exchange rates, making it a useful tool for predicting future exchange rate fluctuations.

Related to Calculating Probabilities of Exchange Rate Fluctuations with Markov Processes

1. How do Markov processes help in calculating probabilities of exchange rate fluctuations?

Markov processes are mathematical models that can be used to analyze the probabilities of different events occurring based on the current state of a system. In the context of exchange rate fluctuations, Markov processes can be applied to determine the likelihood of a currency's exchange rate changing from one state to another over time.

2. What factors are considered in a Markov process for calculating exchange rate probabilities?

There are several factors that are taken into account in a Markov process for calculating exchange rate probabilities. These include the current exchange rate, historical exchange rate data, economic indicators, and any other relevant market information that may affect the exchange rate.

3. Can Markov processes accurately predict future exchange rate fluctuations?

Markov processes are probabilistic models and therefore cannot provide a 100% accurate prediction of future events. However, they can provide a useful estimate of the likelihood of certain exchange rate fluctuations occurring based on historical data and current market conditions.

4. How is the accuracy of Markov processes in calculating exchange rate probabilities evaluated?

The accuracy of a Markov process in predicting exchange rate probabilities can be evaluated by comparing its results to actual historical data. If the model's predictions closely match the actual exchange rate fluctuations, then it can be considered accurate.

5. Are there any limitations to using Markov processes for calculating exchange rate probabilities?

Markov processes have some limitations in their application to exchange rate fluctuations. They assume that the future state of a system is only dependent on the current state, and do not account for external factors such as political events or natural disasters. Additionally, they may not be suitable for highly volatile exchange rates or during periods of market instability.