Calculating Pressure Drop in Two-Phase Flow

In summary, the professor gave us a problem calculating pressure drop in two phase flow. She did some examples and somehow she got the density of water-liquid and water-vapor from steam tables, but she did not explain how. I have never used these tables and am especially stumped on the density of water-liquid. The problem gave a pressure of 7.2 MPa, Length = 3m, Area = 1.5E-4. She got a density of liquid = 736.49kg/m^3. Thanks.
StudioSaturn
Hi folks, my prof gave us some problems calculating pressure drop in two phase flow. She did some examples and somehow she got the density of water-liquid and water-vapor from steam tables, but she did not explain how. I have never used these. I am especially stumped on the density of water-liquid. The problem gave a pressure of 7.2 MPa, Length = 3m, Area = 1.5E-4. She got a density of liquid = 736.49kg/m^3. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
In two phase flow, the liquid and vapor are more or less in thermodynamic equiblibrium at saturated conditions. In the two phase region, the steam and liquid are considered at the same temperature for a given pressure (see saturated temperature and pressure). The energy (enthalpy) is partioned between liquid and vapor phases.

The specific enthalpy is determined from the thermodynamic quality, x, which has a value between 0 and 1. For x=0, the fluid is all liquid, and for x = 1, the fluid is all vapor.

Specific properties are given by xpg + (1-x)pf, where x is the vapor fraction, p is the property, which could be specific volume (inverse of density), specific entropy, specific energy or specific enthalpy. The subscripts g and f designate vapor and fluid, respectively.

Some discussion and examples: http://www.engineersedge.com/thermodynamics/steam_tables.htm

One should be able to find discussion in a textbook on introduction to thermodynamics.

have you had intro to thermodynamic properties of water?

Density of each phase is a straight lookup in the saturated table.
When you have a mix of liquid and vapor it's just simple algebra to figure density of the mix

i use the one at boilerroomservices dot com, go there and click on click on Boiler Steam Tables,
they give density as specific volume which is 1/density
just look it up for the temperature or pressure you are given.
That's Mother Nature's kind gift to Thermo students - at saturated condition either temp or pressure defines your point on the saturation curve.

i use English units but metric steam tables abound at sites like engineeringtoolbox
boilerroomservices has metric ones too i think, perhaps poke around their site a bit

this is very basic to thermo so master it soon .

BTW two phase flow is not at all simple so you are allowed some initial bewilderment.

old jim

Related to Calculating Pressure Drop in Two-Phase Flow

What is the definition of pressure drop in two-phase flow?

Pressure drop in two-phase flow refers to the change in pressure that occurs as a fluid moves through a system or pipe. It is caused by the resistance of the fluid to flow and is affected by factors such as fluid properties, flow rate, and geometry of the system.

How is pressure drop calculated in two-phase flow?

The pressure drop in two-phase flow can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the fluid properties, flow rate, and system geometry. Other methods such as the Lockhart-Martinelli method and the Chisholm method can also be used to calculate pressure drop in specific situations.

What are the major factors that affect pressure drop in two-phase flow?

The major factors that affect pressure drop in two-phase flow include: fluid properties (such as density and viscosity), flow rate, system geometry, and phase change phenomena (such as boiling or condensation). Other factors such as surface roughness and flow pattern can also have an impact.

What are some techniques for reducing pressure drop in two-phase flow?

There are several techniques that can be used to reduce pressure drop in two-phase flow, including: increasing the diameter of the pipe, minimizing bends and obstructions in the system, using smooth and clean surfaces, and controlling the flow rate and fluid properties. Additionally, optimizing the design of the system can also help reduce pressure drop.

What are the limitations of pressure drop calculations in two-phase flow?

There are several limitations to pressure drop calculations in two-phase flow, such as: the assumptions made in the calculation methods may not accurately reflect the actual flow conditions, the presence of complex flow patterns may make it difficult to accurately predict pressure drop, and the effects of phase change phenomena may not be fully accounted for. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculations may depend on the quality and reliability of the input data.