Calculating Power Output of a Battery Bank Circuit with Multiple Loads

In summary, the problem involves a 48 V DC wind turbine connected to four 12 V batteries in series, with two parallel loads - a light bulb rated at 175 W and a heater rated at 1000 W, both at 48 V. The batteries have an internal series resistance of 0.05 ohm each. To find the power supplied to the loads, you first need to calculate the combined resistance of the load and the series resistance of the batteries, and then use Ohm's law and the power equation to find the current and power in the load.
ABR124

Homework Statement

A 48 V DC wind turbine is hooked up to charge a battery bank consisting of four 12 V batteries in series. The wind is not blowing, but the batteries must supply 2 loads. One is a light bulb, rated at 175 W at 48 V; the other is a heater, rated 1000 W at 48 V. The loads are in parallel. The batteries may be constant 12V voltage sources, with an internal series resistance of 0.05 ohm each. How much power is actually supplied to the loads?
(Ignore the effect of temperature on resistance of filament and heating Elements)

Homework Equations

I'm assuming ohms law but don't know where start

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start with this question or what variables I'm even solving for. Here is a diagram I drew of the circuit.
[PLAIN]http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/7571/windquestion1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can work out the resistance of the combined load (1000 watts plus 175 watts).
Like this:
Power = E^2 / R
so R = E ^ 2 / Power.

Then put the combined series resistance of each battery ( 4 times 0.05 ohms) in series with this load resistance.

Then you can work out the current. I = 48 volts / total resistance of batteries plus load.

This current passes through the combined resistances of the load so you can work out the power in the load by
Power = I ^ 2 * R.

Thank you for your help

One question though, when working out the final step of this problem to find the power of the combined loads, do I use the total resistance, or just the load resistance?

Related to Calculating Power Output of a Battery Bank Circuit with Multiple Loads

1. What is a battery bank circuit?

A battery bank circuit is a system that connects multiple batteries together to increase the overall voltage or current output. This is commonly used in off-grid or backup power systems to store and distribute energy.

2. How does a battery bank circuit work?

A battery bank circuit works by connecting the positive terminals of each battery to the negative terminals of the next battery in the series. This creates a chain of batteries, with the first and last battery connected to the circuit's positive and negative terminals, respectively. This allows the batteries to work together and increase the overall voltage or current output.

3. What is the purpose of a battery bank circuit?

The main purpose of a battery bank circuit is to store and distribute electricity. This is particularly useful in off-grid or backup power systems, where a reliable and consistent source of energy is needed. By connecting multiple batteries together, a battery bank circuit can provide a higher capacity and longer runtime compared to a single battery.

4. How do I determine the size of a battery bank circuit I need?

The size of a battery bank circuit is determined by several factors, including the desired voltage and current output, the energy needs of the system, and the type and capacity of the batteries used. It is important to carefully calculate and plan for the specific needs of your system to determine the appropriate size of a battery bank circuit.

5. What are the safety considerations when working with a battery bank circuit?

Working with a battery bank circuit involves handling multiple batteries and connecting them in series. It is important to follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area, to avoid potential hazards such as electrical shock or battery explosions. It is also important to properly maintain and monitor the battery bank circuit to ensure its safe and efficient operation.