Calculating Power and Force in Cycling: Solving for Force in the Equation P=Fv

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation P=Fv and its relation to Pave^2= 3(Pftp^2)/Nh. The speaker solves for Vave and expresses Nh in terms of distance, but is unsure of what to substitute for force. The conversation also addresses finding the net force when speed is constant and the implications if speed varies significantly.
oisdas
Homework Statement
Professional cyclists typically travel at 40 km/h during races. Air resistance produces a force on a cyclist that obeys a law~F(v) =−bv^2 opposite the direction of motion and proportional the speed squared. The coefficient b differs from person to person. The average power Pave that a well-trained cyclist can maintain for Nh hours is roughly Pave^2= 3(Pftp^2)/Nh, where Pftp is the maximum power she can produce without lactic acid accumulation. Solve for the average speed the cyclist can maintain in terms of Pftp and the distance of the race.
Relevant Equations
P=Fv
OK, so I tried to relate the equation P=Fv to the given equation that Pave^2= 3(Pftp^2)/Nh. I put Nh in terms of distance to satisfy the requirement that the answer should be in terms of Pftp and distance by saying Nh = distance/Vave. I also substituted Pave with Fvage.
(FVage)^2 = 3(P^2ftp)Vave/d ---> Vave = 3(^2Pftp)/Fd

My problem is I don't know what to substitute force with. The force is not only the -bv^2 from air resistance, it is also the force applied by the cyclist. With this, how would I find force?

Physics news on Phys.org
oisdas said:
The force is not only the -bv^2 from air resistance, it is also the force applied by the cyclist.
Taking the speed as constant, what is the net force?

Likes oisdas
haruspex said:
Taking the speed as constant, what is the net force?
If speed was constant, the net force would just be from air resistance. However, how would I assume that speed is constant?

oisdas said:
how would I assume that speed is constant?
Because if it varies significantly you do not have enough information.

Likes oisdas
haruspex said:
Because if it varies significantly you do not have enough information.
I see, thank you! With this, I will set the force the bicyclist is applying = Fair since a=0 and get F= -bv^2.

Related to Calculating Power and Force in Cycling: Solving for Force in the Equation P=Fv

1. What is power in cycling?

Power in cycling refers to the amount of work or energy that a cyclist produces while riding. It is measured in watts and is a combination of force (how hard the cyclist is pedaling) and speed (how fast the cyclist is moving).

2. How is power measured in cycling?

Power in cycling is typically measured using a power meter, which is a device that attaches to the bike and measures the force and speed of the rider. This data is then used to calculate the power output in watts.

3. Why is power important in cycling?

Power is important in cycling because it is a direct measure of a cyclist's performance and effort. It allows cyclists to track their progress, set and achieve fitness goals, and make informed decisions about training and racing strategies.

4. What factors affect power output in cycling?

Several factors can affect power output in cycling, including the cyclist's fitness level, body weight, riding position, terrain, and weather conditions. Other factors such as bike type, gear ratio, and tire pressure can also play a role.

5. How can cyclists increase their power output?

To increase power output in cycling, cyclists can focus on improving their overall fitness through specific training techniques such as interval training, strength training, and hill repeats. Proper nutrition and rest are also important factors in improving power output.