Calculating Poisson's Ratio: Young, Bulk, & Relation

In summary, The conversation discusses Young, Bulk, and Poisson's ratio and the difficulty in understanding how to calculate Poisson's ratio using the information given. The conversation provides a reference to a table of conversion formulas that includes a formula for calculating Poisson's ratio using Young's and Bulk moduli. The formula is (3*K-E) / 6K.
joemte
Homework Statement
Given that the sample of PVC has a Young's modulus of 3.3GPa and a Bulk modulus of 4.6GPa Calculate Poisson's ratio
Relevant Equations
None
I've never really heard of Young, Bulk, or Poisson's ratio before. I have done some research but I can't seem to find the relationship between the three in order to calculate Poisson's ratio. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Yes I have individually researched Bulk, Young, and Poisson's ratio, but from what I've researched I am not sure how to apply it all to calculate Poisson's ratio with the information I have been given in the question.

Well, there is a formula in that reference that will enable you to calculate PR given Young's and Bulk moduli. As to "understanding how to apply it all", I couldn't tell you off the top of my head how that formula is derived, but there it is and you can use it.

Hi Chester,

Thank you I didn't see this table, the following formula provided me with the correct answer:

(3*K-E) / 6K

Related to Calculating Poisson's Ratio: Young, Bulk, & Relation

1. What is Poisson's Ratio?

Poisson's Ratio is a measure of the ratio of lateral strain (strain perpendicular to the applied force) to axial strain (strain in the direction of the applied force) in a material. It is denoted by the Greek letter ν (nu) and is typically a value between -1 and 0.5.

2. How is Poisson's Ratio calculated?

Poisson's Ratio can be calculated by dividing the lateral strain by the axial strain. This can be expressed in mathematical terms as ν = -ε_l/ε_a, where ε_l is the lateral strain and ε_a is the axial strain. In some cases, it may also be calculated by measuring the change in diameter of a material when it is stretched or compressed.

3. What is the relationship between Young's Modulus, Bulk Modulus, and Poisson's Ratio?

Young's Modulus and Bulk Modulus are both measures of a material's resistance to deformation under stress. Poisson's Ratio is related to these values through the equation ν = E/(3K-2E), where E is Young's Modulus and K is Bulk Modulus. This means that Poisson's Ratio is directly proportional to Young's Modulus and inversely proportional to Bulk Modulus.

4. Can Poisson's Ratio be negative?

Yes, Poisson's Ratio can be negative. This occurs when a material experiences a decrease in lateral strain (becomes narrower) when it is under tension. Materials with a negative Poisson's Ratio are known as auxetic materials and have unique properties such as increased impact resistance and improved acoustic absorption.

5. What factors can affect the value of Poisson's Ratio?

The value of Poisson's Ratio can be affected by various factors including the type of material, temperature, and the direction of the applied force. It can also vary depending on the amount of stress or strain applied to the material. Additionally, the microstructure and composition of a material can also impact its Poisson's Ratio.