Calculating Photon Frequency From Relativistic Decay: Homework Solution

In summary: It should be greater, so the other way round. I've probably made an algebraic mistake somewhere. But thank you! that's really helpful :)
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

Hi- I've been doing some questions and came across the following

A high energy particle, traveling towards an observer with velocity v decays to produce a photon with
energy E in the rest frame of the particle.
Find the frequency at which this photon would be detected by the observer

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so initially i tried:

conservation of energy in particles frame: mc^2=E
then transformed this into the lab frame
E'=gamma(E-vp)
E'=Esqrt((1-v/c)/1+v/c))

and then used E'=hc/lambda to get f=E/hcsqrt((1-v/c)/1+v/c))

but then here is my problem- surely the decay of a single particle into a single photon violates the conservation of momentum as in the particles frame it initially has momentum 0, but after the decay it has momentum E/c? I may be wrong, but I'm just slightly confused. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the particle doesn't decay into two photons? By conservation of momentum a single particle cannot decay into a single particle with a different mass.

PeroK said:
Are you sure the particle doesn't decay into two photons? By conservation of momentum a single particle cannot decay into a single particle with a different mass.
This is my problem... but that is the exact question

Physgeek64 said:
This is my problem... but that is the exact question

It could decay into another unspecified particle and a photon. It doesn't say only a photon!

PeroK said:
It could decay into another unspecified particle and a photon. It doesn't say only a photon!
But surely the frequency of the photon would depend entirely on the mass of the other particle, so it would be odd not to mention it?

Physgeek64 said:
But surely the frequency of the photon would depend entirely on the mass of the other particle, so it would be odd not to mention it?

It gives you the energy of the photon. The mass of the original particle and the details of the decay are irrelevant.

PeroK said:
It gives you the energy of the photon. The mass of the original particle and the details of the decay are irrelevant.
ahh okay- so with the exception of my 'conservation of energy' line, my above answer should hold?

Physgeek64 said:
ahh okay- so with the exception of my 'conservation of energy' line, my above answer should hold?
conservation of energy in particles frame: mc^2=E
then transformed this into the lab frame
E'=gamma(E-vp)
E'=Esqrt((1-v/c)/1+v/c))and then used E'=hc/lambda to get f=E/hcsqrt((1-v/c)/1+v/c))

Are you sure that's right? What would Mr Doppler have to say?

Also, there's no need to introduce ##\lambda## as ##E' = hf_{obs}##

PeroK said:
Are you sure that's right? What would Mr Doppler have to say?

Also, there's no need to introduce ##\lambda## as ##E' = hf_{obs}##
I did initially think that, but the expression I've obtained is already that of the doppler shift? Or is that just a coincidence?

Oh yeah- silly me

Physgeek64 said:
I did initially think that, but the expression I've obtained is already that of the doppler shift? Or is that just a coincidence?

Oh yeah- silly me

It's no coincidence. The energy transformation for a photon leads to the relativistic Doppler formula. Is the energy/frequency of the observed photon (in your answer) greater than or less than the emitted photon? What should it be?

PeroK said:
It's no coincidence. The energy transformation for a photon leads to the relativistic Doppler formula. Is the energy/frequency of the observed photon (in your answer) greater than or less than the emitted photon? What should it be?
It should be greater, so the other way round. I've probably made an algebraic mistake somewhere. But thank you! that's really helpful :)

Related to Calculating Photon Frequency From Relativistic Decay: Homework Solution

1. How do you calculate photon frequency from relativistic decay?

The formula for calculating photon frequency from relativistic decay is f = E/h, where f is the frequency, E is the energy, and h is Planck's constant.

2. What is relativistic decay?

Relativistic decay is a process in which a particle with mass decays into two or more particles, releasing energy in the form of photons.

3. What is the significance of calculating photon frequency from relativistic decay?

Calculating photon frequency from relativistic decay allows scientists to understand the energy released during the decay process and how it is distributed among the resulting particles. This information can provide insights into the nature of the particles involved and their interactions.

4. Are there any other factors that need to be considered when calculating photon frequency from relativistic decay?

Yes, the formula assumes that the particles involved in the decay are at rest. If the particles are moving at high speeds, the calculations become more complicated due to relativistic effects.

5. Can this formula be applied to all types of relativistic decay?

Yes, the formula can be applied to all types of relativistic decay, as long as the energy released in the form of photons can be measured.