Calculating Phosphate Concentration in Water: A Scientist's Perspective

In summary, 50 ppm of phosphate would be dissolved in 20 liters of water if 1 gram of phosphate is added.
caliban07
If I add 1 gram of phosphate to 20 litres of water. What would the concentration of phosphate in solution in ppm?

I have somehow come up with 50ppm does this sound right?

To achieve 1ppm phosphate in 20l of water I would require 0.02g?

Or am a weigh off?

Physics news on Phys.org
Way*

Define "phosphate". In typical application it will mean just the PO43-, but you most likely dissolved some salt, of which PO43- is only a fraction.

50 ppm suggest you did calculations right, just not taking above into consideration.

Borek said:
Define "phosphate". In typical application it will mean just the PO43-, but you most likely dissolved some salt, of which PO43- is only a fraction.

50 ppm suggest you did calculations right, just not taking above into consideration.

Thanks. It's actually mono potassium phosphate used as a plant fertiliser or on this case as a nutrient for autotrophic bacteria during nitrification.

I was more interested in the math. I gather that what you are saying is it would not be pure phosphate and that the same would apply with the mono potassium phosphate? It doesn't really have to be that precise and the calculation was purely hypothetical based on the molecular mass of phosphate.

KH2PO4 has a molar mass of 136 g/mol (assuming anhydrous salt), PO43- is 95 g/mol, so in the end you will be closer to 95/136*50 = 35 ppm of phosphate.

Sorry I think the original answer 50 ppm is right. Ppm is a simple 'practical' measure. Parts per million of that particular product, whatever it is. I.e. Grams per million grams of water - in practice per million litres.

Now sure one ppm of one of the several forms of phosphate wouldn't have the same moles of phosphate (or of potassium) as another form, but if the difference between 35 and 50 was significant for the application, then each product would have to come with a different recommendation of how many ppm to use.

Ppm is less scientific and flexible but reccomended molarity would not be helpful to the majority of users of plant fertiliser!

epenguin said:
Sorry I think the original answer 50 ppm is right. Ppm is a simple 'practical' measure. Parts per million of that particular product, whatever it is. I.e. Grams per million grams of water - in practice per million litres.

Now sure one ppm of one of the several forms of phosphate wouldn't have the same moles of phosphate (or of potassium) as another form, but if the difference between 35 and 50 was significant for the application, then each product would have to come with a different recommendation of how many ppm to use.

Ppm is less scientific and flexible but reccomended molarity would not be helpful to the majority of users of plant fertiliser!

Yes thank you. I wanted to split the phosphate away from the potassium to make the maths easier. I thought if I could get the phosphate part right I could work them as a whole if needed.

It doesn't have to be overly precise it since fertilisers come dry it is useful to know exactly what you are putting in without having to use inaccurate online calculators.

I am far from saying 50 ppm is "wrong". It is just ambiguous and can be misleading once you try to get some "real" numbers. I have no problems with you saying your solution is 50 ppm as long as we agree it is just an approximation.

As it is often the case, same thing has different meanings for different groups of users. It is just a matter of being sure you use it correctly in the context and you are correctly understood by the others.

Related to Calculating Phosphate Concentration in Water: A Scientist's Perspective

1. What is concentration in solution?

Concentration in solution refers to the amount of a substance that is dissolved in a given volume of solvent. It is usually expressed in units of molarity (moles per liter) or mass/volume (grams per liter).

2. How is concentration measured?

Concentration can be measured using various techniques such as titration, spectrophotometry, and gravimetric analysis. These methods involve determining the amount of solute present in a given volume of solution.

3. What is the difference between dilute and concentrated solutions?

A dilute solution has a low concentration of solute compared to the amount of solvent, while a concentrated solution has a high concentration of solute relative to the amount of solvent. This can be expressed in terms of molarity or percentage of solute by mass.

4. How does concentration affect the properties of a solution?

The concentration of a solution can affect its physical and chemical properties. For example, a more concentrated solution may have a higher boiling point, lower freezing point, and exhibit stronger intermolecular forces.

5. What factors can affect the concentration of a solution?

The concentration of a solution can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the amount of solute and solvent present. Additionally, the type of solute and solvent and their interactions can also impact the concentration of a solution.