Calculating pH of a NaCN Hints & Tips

• Thread starter kwikness
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph Tips
In summary, the formula for calculating the pH of NaCN is -log[H+], where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution. The concentration of hydrogen ions can be found using the formula [H+] = 10^-pH, where pH is the given pH value of the solution. The pH of a NaCN solution can be negative if the concentration of hydrogen ions is less than 10^-14, indicating an acidic solution. NaCN is a strong base and can significantly affect the pH of a solution, so it is important to take into account its concentration in pH calculations. Precautions should be taken when working with NaCN, as it is a toxic substance, such as wearing proper protective gear,
kwikness
Hi, I have the following problem:

Calculate the pH of a 0.200M Sodium Cyanide solution.

I'm confused because this salt has no H or O atoms in it. How could it affect the pH of a solution?
What formulas would I need to solve this? My final is tomorrow and I'm really worried. Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

First of all, don't worry! Calculating the pH of a solution containing a salt like NaCN may seem daunting, but it is actually quite straightforward.

You are correct in noting that NaCN does not contain any H or O atoms. However, it does contain the CN- ion, which is a weak base. This means that when it is dissolved in water, it will partially dissociate into CN- and Na+ ions. The CN- ion will then react with water to form OH- ions, which will affect the pH of the solution.

To solve this problem, you will need to use the dissociation constant (Kb) of CN- to calculate the concentration of OH- ions in the solution. From there, you can use the equation pH = -log[OH-] to determine the pH of the solution.

Here is the step-by-step process:

1. Write out the dissociation reaction for CN- in water: CN- + H2O ⇌ HCN + OH-

2. Write the equilibrium expression for this reaction: Kb = [HCN][OH-]/[CN-]

3. Plug in the values given in the problem: Kb = x^2/(0.200-x), where x is the concentration of OH- ions.

4. Solve for x using the quadratic formula: x = 0.00707 M.

5. Use the equation pH = -log[OH-] to calculate the pH: pH = -log(0.00707) = 2.15

So, the pH of a 0.200M NaCN solution is 2.15. This means the solution is slightly basic, as the OH- ions from the dissociation of CN- are greater in concentration than the H+ ions from the dissociation of water.

I hope this helps and good luck on your final! Remember to always double check your units and equations to ensure accurate results.

Related to Calculating pH of a NaCN Hints & Tips

1. What is the formula for calculating the pH of NaCN?

The formula for calculating the pH of NaCN is -log[H+], where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution.

2. How do you find the concentration of hydrogen ions in a NaCN solution?

The concentration of hydrogen ions can be found using the formula [H+] = 10^-pH, where pH is the given pH value of the solution.

3. Can the pH of a NaCN solution be negative?

Yes, the pH of a NaCN solution can be negative if the concentration of hydrogen ions is less than 10^-14. This would indicate an acidic solution.

4. What is the significance of NaCN in pH calculations?

NaCN, or sodium cyanide, is a strong base and can significantly affect the pH of a solution. In pH calculations, it is important to take into account the concentration of NaCN in the solution.

5. Are there any precautions to take when working with NaCN in pH calculations?

Yes, NaCN is a toxic substance and should be handled with care. It is important to wear proper protective gear and to work in a well-ventilated area when handling NaCN. Additionally, proper disposal methods should be followed to prevent harm to the environment.