Calculating percentage change in volume at constant pressure.

In summary, the coefficient of thermal expansion of ethanol, given by α = 1.0414 x 10^(-3) + 1.5672 x 10^(-6)t + 5.148 x 10^(-8)t^2 (per degree Celsius), can be used to calculate the percentage change in volume when heated from 0 to 100 degrees Celsius at constant pressure. The correct method is to integrate the equation dV/V = α(t)dt from 0 to 100 degrees Celsius, which results in a final answer of 13.8%. It is important to note that the units of t and t^2 are included in the equation, with t being in Kelvin.
waqaszeb

Homework Statement

The coefficient of the thermal expansion of ethanol is given by:

[itex]\alpha[/itex] (per degree Celsius) = 1.0414 x 10^(-3) + 1.5672 x 10^(-6) t + 5.148 X 10^(-8) t^2

Calculate the percentage change in volume when ethanol is heated from 0 to 100 (celsius) at constant pressure.

Homework Equations

alpha = (1/V)(partial(V)/(partial(T))(at constant P)

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply rearranged the above equation and integrated with limits T1 and T2:

delta(V) = (alpha/2)(100)^2 = 5.123..something but the answer is 13.8 %

Can someone also comment on the units of alpha? Its confusing because the units t and t^2 are included. From a mathematical point of view, we can't just add them..( or that's what i think at least).

Physics news on Phys.org
waqaszeb said:

Homework Statement

The coefficient of the thermal expansion of ethanol is given by:

[itex]\alpha[/itex] (per degree Celsius) = 1.0414 x 10^(-3) + 1.5672 x 10^(-6) t + 5.148 X 10^(-8) t^2

Calculate the percentage change in volume when ethanol is heated from 0 to 100 (celsius) at constant pressure.

Homework Equations

alpha = (1/V)(partial(V)/(partial(T))(at constant P)

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply rearranged the above equation and integrated with limits T1 and T2:

delta(V) = (alpha/2)(100)^2 = 5.123..something but the answer is 13.8 %

Can someone also comment on the units of alpha? Its confusing because the units t and t^2 are included. From a mathematical point of view, we can't just add them..( or that's what i think at least).

You're wise to question units (dimensions). Too few people do that, including a former PhD boss of mine! Yet it's a very powerful way to check your computations as you go along.

The answer of course is that the t coefficient has units of K-1and the t2 coefficient has units of K-2. All terms must be dimensionless as is α.

Just out of curiosity, why did you use t instead of T in your expression for α?

You need to integrate to get ΔV/V over 0 to 100 deg C.

rude man said:
You're wise to question units (dimensions). Too few people do that, including a former PhD boss of mine! Yet it's a very powerful way to check your computations as you go along.

The answer of course is that the t coefficient has units of K-1and the t2 coefficient has units of K-2. All terms must be dimensionless as is α.

Just out of curiosity, why did you use t instead of T in your expression for α?

You need to integrate to get ΔV/V over 0 to 100 deg C.

Hey, thanks for you help! I got ΔV/V = (alpha)(T dt), which I integrated from 0 to 100. The answer I get now is 20.86..I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong..

As for the units of alpha..I don't know why its t and not T. This is a question from Chemical Thermodynamics by Peter A. Rock.

waqaszeb said:
Hey, thanks for you help! I got ΔV/V = (alpha)(T dt), which I integrated from 0 to 100. The answer I get now is 20.86..I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong..

I don't see your integral. What is it?

As for the units of alpha..I don't know why its t and not T. This is a question from Chemical Thermodynamics by Peter A. Rock.

I assume t is in Kelvin, not centigrade. Double-check this!

rude man said:
I don't see your integral. What is it?

I assume t is in Kelvin, not centigrade. Double-check this!

I integrated both (ΔV/V)= (alpha) dt [from 0 to 100] = alpha (100) = wrong answer
and (ΔV/V) = (alpha)(T) dt [ from 0 to 100) = alpha x 2 x ( 100^2 - 0^2 ) = 20.86

the answer in the back of my textbook says the answer is 13.8 %

V/V. What was your expression for Δ
waqaszeb said:
I integrated both (ΔV/V)= (alpha) dt [from 0 to 100] = alpha (100) = wrong answer
the answer in the back of my textbook says the answer is 13.8 %

OK, I got the same answer (13.8%) if I assume t is in deg C.

You did right by setting ΔV/V = αΔt or, let's be sophisticated physicists, dV/V = αdt. I need to see your work step-by-step to see what the error was you made, because you took the right tack in integrating this equation.

Here's what I did:

dv/V = [itex]\alpha[/itex] dt = [itex]\alpha[/itex] T (100-0) [ after integration ] = [itex]\alpha[/itex] (100-0) = [itex]\alpha[/itex] (100) = 10.43 for me..

I added the three quantities of alpha and then multiplied by 100. I also multiplied each individual quantity to 100 and then added them together. the answer is still wrong..

waqaszeb said:
Here's what I did:

dv/V = [itex]\alpha[/itex] dt = [itex]\alpha[/itex] T (100-0) [ after integration ] = [itex]\alpha[/itex] (100-0) = [itex]\alpha[/itex] (100) = 10.43 for me..

I added the three quantities of alpha and then multiplied by 100. I also multiplied each individual quantity to 100 and then added them together. the answer is still wrong..

dV/V is a differential fractional increase in volume. You did not compute the total fractional change in volume.

And you did not integrate α(t)dt from 0 to 100C either.

Integrate both sides of this equation correctly & what do you get?

Last edited:
Got it. Thank you so much!

Related to Calculating percentage change in volume at constant pressure.

What is percentage change in volume at constant pressure?

Percentage change in volume at constant pressure is a measure of the relative change in volume of a substance when the pressure remains constant.

How do you calculate percentage change in volume at constant pressure?

To calculate percentage change in volume at constant pressure, you need to first determine the initial volume and the final volume. Then, subtract the initial volume from the final volume and divide the result by the initial volume. Finally, multiply the answer by 100 to get the percentage change.

What is the formula for calculating percentage change in volume at constant pressure?

The formula for calculating percentage change in volume at constant pressure is:
[(Vf - Vi) / Vi] * 100

What is the importance of calculating percentage change in volume at constant pressure?

Calculating percentage change in volume at constant pressure is important in understanding the behavior of substances under different conditions. It can also be used to compare and analyze data in various scientific experiments and studies.

Can percentage change in volume at constant pressure be negative?

Yes, percentage change in volume at constant pressure can be negative. This means that the final volume is less than the initial volume, indicating a decrease in volume. A positive result would indicate an increase in volume.