Calculating Peak Velocity of a Magnet Under Continuous Magnetic Force

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding the peak velocity of a magnet, MagX, under the continuous force of another magnet, MagY, at a constant distance of 0.5". Friction is not considered and the dimensions of MagX are provided. The conversation concludes with a solution involving the conversion of force in psi to lbs and the application of conservation of energy to determine the velocity of MagX. The units of the final velocity are uncertain.
Eggers

Homework Statement

Imagine you have a magnet (Henceforth named MagX) which weighs .03lbs, and it is being continuously pushed by another magnet's polar likes (Henceforth named MagY) with a force of 3 PSI. Is it possible to find the peak velocity of MagX, assuming that MagY stays at a constant distance of 0.5" away from MagX?

Friction is not factored in.
The dimensions of MagX are 2.0" x 0.5" x .125"

This isn't for "Homework", but it's relevant to a project which I cannot elaborate on.
I apologize if the question doesn't make sense or is too vague. I admit that I am no physics major and I honestly have no idea where to go from here.

Thank you for your time.
Wyatt

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you know the force in psi, you can convert that into a force (in lbs) by multiplying by the area and then apply conservation of energy.

force*distance = change in kinetic energy of magX (assuming 0 initial KE)

Fd = ½mv2

v would give the velocity in some units which I am not sure of since I never really used those units.

That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you so much for the help rock.freak!

Related to Calculating Peak Velocity of a Magnet Under Continuous Magnetic Force

What is magnetic force peak velocity?

Magnetic force peak velocity, also known as magnetic peak velocity or critical velocity, is the maximum speed that a magnetic field can generate within a conductive material. It is the point at which the force of the magnetic field is strong enough to overcome the resistance of the material and cause it to move.

What factors affect magnetic force peak velocity?

The magnetic force peak velocity is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the electrical conductivity of the material, and the geometry of the conductor. A stronger magnetic field or a more conductive material will result in a higher peak velocity.

What are some applications of magnetic force peak velocity?

Magnetic force peak velocity plays a crucial role in many industrial processes, such as electromagnetic forming, electromagnetic propulsion, and magnetic levitation. It is also used in scientific research, such as studying the properties of materials under extreme magnetic fields.

How is magnetic force peak velocity measured?

Magnetic force peak velocity is typically measured using specialized sensors called Hall effect sensors. These sensors can detect changes in the magnetic field and provide a measurement of the peak velocity.

Can magnetic force peak velocity be controlled?

Yes, magnetic force peak velocity can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the magnetic field or the electrical conductivity of the material. This allows for precise manipulation of the speed and direction of the material being affected by the magnetic field.