Calculating Particle Mass Using Magnetic Force

In summary, the conversation is about a question involving a positive particle traveling at 1.9E4 m/s perpendicular to a 1.0 x 10-3 T magnetic field and a radius of .40m. The person is confused about how to use the 1.0 x 10-3 T value in the calculation and is asking for help and formulas. Another person suggests using the Lorentz force to find the magnetic force on a moving charge and how it relates to the particle's mass, velocity, magnetic field, and radius.
SDPY15
Hey yall:

So I ran across this confusing question and was wondering if you guys could help me out.

Consider the fact that you have a positive particle (which would be q=1.6E-19) that is traveling at 1.9E4 m/s perpendicular to a 1.0 x 10-3 T magnetic field. If the radius is .40m what is the particles mass?

I don't understand how the 1.0 x 10-3 T can be used in any calculation! Is that just 1.0E8 T, or am I really missing something? Any formulas would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SDPY15 said:
I don't understand how the 1.0 x 10-3 T can be used in any calculation! Is that just 1.0E8 T, or am I really missing something?
Unless it's a misprint, they meant 1.0 x 10-3 T, which is the same as 1.0E-3 T.

Any formulas would be appreciated.
How do you find the magnetic force on a moving charge? Look up the Lorentz force.

Think about how the magnetic force interacts with a moving charge. It moves along in a circle, so we can say that the magnetic force is the centripetal force on the particle. Using the two equations, one can find an equation that solves for the mass of the particle in terms of the velocity, magnetic field, and radius.

EDIT: oh, and the charge :p

Related to Calculating Particle Mass Using Magnetic Force

What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a physical phenomenon that describes the force of attraction or repulsion between objects with magnetic fields. It is caused by the motion of electric charges, such as electrons, within the atoms of a material.

How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field that exerts a force on other magnetic materials. This is due to the alignment of the atoms within the magnet, which creates a north and south pole that attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials.

What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is a material that retains its magnetic properties without the need for an external power source. An electromagnet, on the other hand, is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire, which creates a magnetic field. The strength of an electromagnet can be controlled by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the wire.

How does magnetism affect electricity?

Magnetism and electricity are closely related, as an electric current produces a magnetic field and a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current. This is the principle behind generators and electric motors.

What are some real-world applications of magnetism?

Magnetism has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, speakers, and MRI machines. It is also used in data storage devices like hard drives and credit cards. Additionally, magnets are used in compasses for navigation and in magnetic levitation trains for transportation.