Calculating Orbital Velocity for a Satellite Orbiting Earth

In summary: The velocity is an approximate, but like you said it isn't exact. I agree that the 7,700.27 m/s does look too precise. I was using my book to refer on what the units to use for the velocity which gave m/s.
.:Endeavour:.
Can you find the orbital velocity of a planet which a satellite has to obtain in order to revolve around the planet with this formula:

v = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{Gm_E}{r_E}}[/tex]

G = gravitational constant 6.67*10-11
mE = Mass of a planet
rE = the radius of the orbit

rE = h + r
h = height of the orbit
r = the radius of a plant from the center of the planet to its surface

Lets see, if you want to find the orbital velocity that a satellite has to get in order to orbit the Earth in Low Earth Orbit (346.9 km).

mE = 5.98*1024 kg
rE = h + r
h = 346,900 meters (346.9 km)
r = 6.38*106 meters

v = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{(6.67*10^-^1^1)(5.98*10^2^4 kg))}{6,726,900}}[/tex]
v = 7,700.27 m/s

In order to obtain an orbit at an altitude of 346.9 km you will need to get a velocity of 7,700.27 m/s. Is this right, if not please correct me. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
.:Endeavour:. said:
In order to obtain an orbit at an altitude of 346.9 km you will need to get a velocity of 7,700.27 m/s. Is this right, if not please correct me. Thank you for your time.

That is basically correct. To pick a nit: This result, 7,700.27 m/s, has too much precision. You used a three-figure value for both G and for the radius of the Earth. Your result has thusly at most three significant figures, so saying something down to centimeter per seconds is incorrect. This result also ignores that orbits do not have to be circular, or that there is no such thing as a perfectly circular orbit, particularly in low-Earth orbit.

If you had said 7.7 kilometers per second instead of 7,700.27 m/s I wouldn't have picked so many nits.

D H said:
That is basically correct. To pick a nit: This result, 7,700.27 m/s, has too much precision. You used a three-figure value for both G and for the radius of the Earth. Your result has thusly at most three significant figures, so saying something down to centimeter per seconds is incorrect. This result also ignores that orbits do not have to be circular, or that there is no such thing as a perfectly circular orbit, particularly in low-Earth orbit.

If you had said 7.7 kilometers per second instead of 7,700.27 m/s I wouldn't have picked so many nits.

The velocity is an approximate, but like you said it isn't exact. I agree that the 7,700.27 m/s does look too precise. I was using my book to refer on what the units to use for the velocity
which gave m/s.

For a rocket to reach 7.7 km does it have to reach that velocity in a period of time or not? Because most rockets like the Space Shuttle reach LEO orbit around 8 to 10 minutes. Just kind of curious there.

Related to Calculating Orbital Velocity for a Satellite Orbiting Earth

1. What is the definition of Orbital Speed?

The orbital speed of a satellite is the speed at which it moves around a celestial body, such as a planet or moon, in a circular or elliptical orbit.

2. How is Orbital Speed calculated?

Orbital speed is calculated using the formula v = √(GM/r), where v is the orbital speed, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the celestial body, and r is the distance between the satellite and the center of the celestial body.

3. What factors affect the Orbital Speed of a Satellite?

The orbital speed of a satellite can be affected by the mass of the celestial body it is orbiting, the distance between the satellite and the celestial body, and any external forces acting on the satellite such as gravity or atmospheric drag.

4. How does Orbital Speed differ for different types of orbits?

The orbital speed for a circular orbit is constant, while the orbital speed for an elliptical orbit varies depending on the distance from the celestial body. In addition, the orbital speed for a geostationary orbit is higher than that of a low Earth orbit due to the larger distance from the center of the Earth.

5. How is Orbital Speed used in satellite design and operations?

Orbital speed is an important consideration in satellite design and operations as it affects the trajectory and stability of the satellite. Knowing the orbital speed allows engineers to calculate the necessary fuel and thrust required for the satellite to maintain its orbit, as well as the timing of necessary maneuvers such as orbit adjustments.